Faculty Mentor Guidelines
FACULTY MENTOR GUIDELINES
- Create a welcoming atmosphere when meeting with Scholar.
- Hold high standards to challenge Scholar while providing support and guidance.
- Assist Scholar in finding conference presentation opportunities, scholarships, fellowships, and other professional development opportunities.
- Encourage conversations about academic and nonacademic issues – often Scholars become exhausted, confused about career paths and graduate school options, and uncomfortable in the research project.
- Provide accountability to Scholar in the completion of his/her work. Be sure to highlight consequences and help Scholar understand professionalism.
- When in doubt, reach out! McNair Scholars Program Staff are always available to discuss your experiences as a Faculty Mentor and our Scholars’ progress and development.