An active threat is an incident in which an individual or group of individuals are in the process of attempting to inflict violent acts on others in a specific area.
Active threats typically involve some type of weapon such as a firearm, knife, or vehicle. Although very rare, these types of incidents are unfortunately increasing across the country. Typically, incidents occur without warning, last about 5-10 minutes, and can be lethal.
If you find yourself in an active threat situation, follow the ALICE response plan.
To enroll in A.L.I.C.E. training go to A.L.I.C.E WORKSHOPS
- Look and listen for notifications of an incident.
- Shelter in place by locking down/barricading.
- Stay up-to-date on the incident and report appropriate info to authorities.
- As a last resort, counter the attacker.
- If safe to do so, leave the incident area as soon as possible.
What You Can Do
Prepare before an incident
- Ensure you are enrolled in Flash ALERTS and your contact info is current
- Practice good situational awareness
- If you see or hear something suspicious, tell the authorities
- See something, say something.
- Attend ALICE training
- Attend first aid or "STOP THE BLEED" training
Respond during the incident
- Listen to emergency alerts (Flash ALERTS, speaker systems, word-of-mouth)
- If you are not in close proximity to the incident, shelter in place in a secure location
- If you are close to the incident, but you feel it is safe to do so, evacuate the area immediately
- If you can't evacuate, hide in a secure area, and barricade the door
- If you find yourself face-to-face with the attacker, counter
- Fight for your life!
- Inform law enforcement if you have relevant information, such as a description of the attacker, what weapons they have, and their location
- When you see law enforcement officers, keep hands visible and comply with instructions
Recover after the incident
- Follow instructions from law enforcement
- Expect updates from KSU
- Explore mental health and trauma resources available to you
- Help and support one another