Prospective Students | Kent State University

Prospective Students

Admissions & Degree Requirements

Find out if the Sociology Ph.D. program is a good fit for you.
Admissions Info

Assistantship Opportunities

Learn about graduate assistantship opportunities for Ph.D. students.
More Info

Ready to Apply

Find detailed information for domestic and international student applications.
Apply Now 

Frequently Asked Questions


What is the deadline for applications? 

The deadline to be considered for funding is December 1 for international students, and December 15 for domestic students.  

How do I apply and what materials do I need to submit?

For domestic students, the application must include a) official transcripts, b) GRE scores from within the last five years, c) a personal statement of 2-4 pages, d) three letters of recommendation submitted separately by the referees.  Writing samples may also be included, but are not required.  For international students, a TOEFL score must also be submitted.  

Do you offer funding for graduate students?

Yes, but funding is competitive. The department typically funds 6-8 new students each fall. For students who enter our program with a B.A., a graduate assistantship carries an award of $14,500 per academic year, a remission of tuition, and health benefits. For students who enter our program having already earned an M.A. in sociology, a graduate assistantship carries an award of $15,500 per academic year, a remission of tuition, and health benefits. More details about funding and assistantships are available on this page of our website: Graduate Assistantships.

What if I have a B.A. or M.A. in an area other than sociology? Should I still apply?

Students with degrees in fields other than sociology are occasionally accepted.  For these students, priority is given to applicants who have completed and done well in classes in social research methods and statistics (in sociology or a related field), and classes covering sociological theory.  Students without courses in these three basic areas (methods, statistics, theory), may be accepted into the program conditional on their taking these courses.  Other requirements may be imposed at the discretion of the Graduate Education Committee (GEC).

I have already completed (or partially completed) a master's degree in sociology at another university. What is your policy on transfer of credit and how do I go about that?

The university policy on the transfer of graduate credit can be found here: In short, students who are accepted into our program can transfer an M.A. thesis and up to 12 semester credit hours toward program coursework (see p. 7 of the Graduate Handbook for an overview of required and elective coursework). Please note these and other conditions that must be satisfied in order to transfer graduate credit. If you are accepted into our graduate program and wish to transfer graduate credit, please complete the Transfer of Graduate Credit form (available here) and submit it along with electronic copies of your M.A. thesis and/or relevant course syllabi to our Graduate Coordinator.

I only want a master's degree. Should I still apply?

No, we no longer offer a terminal master's degree. Students in our graduate program earn a master's degree as they work toward completing the doctoral degree.

Can I be admitted in the spring semester?

No, the department no longer admits students for the spring semester.


What areas of specialization does the program cover?

We offer four areas of concentration; social inequalities (e.g., race/ethnicity, gender, social class), medical and mental health, social psychology, and criminology and deviance. We also provide students with extensive training in classical and contemporary theory, qualitative and quantitative research methods, and statistics.

Does your program provide graduate students with training to be college-level teachers and opportunities to teach classes?

Yes. All of our graduate students are required to complete coursework on teaching sociology, and all graduate students are given the opportunity to teach their own courses.

What kinds of jobs are your graduate students prepared for when they graduate with a Ph.D. in sociology?

We prepare our students for tenure-track jobs at research universities and teaching colleges as well as jobs in social research in both the private and public/government sectors.

Moving to Kent

I will be re-locating to Kent, OH. Where can I found out more about off-campus living (e.g., apartments) and other things about the area?

Kent is a vibrant college town. View a great website that will help you with many of your relocation needs. Find more details about life in the City of Kent.