ADMISSIONS FAQ | Summer Sessions | Kent State University


Can I register for Summer classes if I’m not a Kent State student?
Once I’ve applied, how will I know if I have been accepted?

The Kent State University Admissions Office will send you a letter or e-mail confirming your admission and providing your Kent State ID. This can take up to a week to reach you.

To speed up the process, you can call the Admissions Office at 1-330-672-2444 or 1-800-988-KENT, a few days after you submit the application, to get your Kent State ID over the phone. 

Once you have this, you can follow these instructions on the Help Desk website to create a default password. 

Why am I getting a message saying I need to submit transcripts?

You may inadvertently have applied as a Transfer Student rather than a Guest Student. 

Contact the Admissions Office at 1-330-672-2444 or 1-800-988-KENT for assistance. 

If I took classes at Kent State last summer or I applied and was accepted as an incoming freshman but decided to go elsewhere, can I use the same FlashLine ID?

At this point, your registration window will no longer be active. You will need to go through the process of applying as a Guest Student. It's likely that you will be assigned the same FlashLine ID as the registration system will recognize that it has you on file. 

What if I’m accepted as a Guest Student then decide not to take classes. Is there a penalty?

There is no penalty. Guest Student admissions are temporary, one-semester admissions. 

If you do not register during that semester your admission status will become inactive and, if you wish to attend at a later date, you will need to complete the Guest Student application process again. 

I am an incoming freshman as of Fall 2017 and would like to take some Summer classes. Who do I need to contact?

Contact the Admissions Office and let them know you wish to change your start date from Fall to Summer. You may need to speak with your advisor as well. If you have not yet been assigned an advisor or participated in Destination Kent State, you can contact 330-672-2014 or

If I am a recent high school graduate who will be attending a college other than Kent State in the fall, will I be allowed to take KSU summer classes this summer?

No, unfortunately, you will not be permitted to do so.