UPDATE: Campus Robbery UnfoundedPosted Feb. 22, 2011
After further investigation of the armed robbery that was reported on Sunday, Feb. 20 the Kent State University police have determined that it was unfounded. The victim recanted their story and there was no robbery.During this time of heightened awareness in the campus community, it is a good reminder for everyone to always take simple, commonsense precautions as our best defense against crime.
Besides the presence of KSU Police Department, security aides are available to provide escorts across campus and have extended their hours until spring break. Call 2-7004 for an escort on campus each night between 6 p.m. and 4 a.m. Our well-lighted campus also includes outdoor campus phones, which can be recognized by their blue lights and can be used for emergency and non-emergency situations. Courtesy phones are located at the entrances to residence halls.
Please consider these additional tips:
- Find safety in numbers by walking with a companion or in groups at night;
- Keep the doors of residences, offices and automobiles locked;
- Mark your valuables with a personal identification number in case of loss or theft;
- Have your keys ready when walking across parking lots and watch for any suspicious person or activities;
- Never leave your keys unattended in the car ignition; and
- Lock all valuables such as mobile devices, laptops, cameras, book bags, briefcases and textbooks in the trunk.
Emily Vincent, firstname.lastname@example.org, 330-672-8595