Health Degree Program Peer Mentor Project
The Peer Mentoring Project is an endeavor of the Kent State Ashtabula campus to increase student success within the Health Degree programs in the first semester of college. Success in the first semester will lead to higher retention rates, more academic confidence, fewer course repeats, higher levels of preparedness, and quicker entrance into healthcare-related programs.
Mentors will develop a structured and trusting relationship with new freshman pursuing healthcare programs to offer guidance, support, and encouragement. A peer mentor can be referred to as a friend, coach, advisor, role model, resource, and person who will listen.
- Minimum 1 semester completed at Kent State Ashtabula.
- Not enrolled in developmental courses during mentoring semester.
- GPA 3.0 or above.
- Successful completion of math/science courses common for healthcare majors (A & P, Chemistry, Algebra, Statistics, etc.).
- Able to allocate minimum hours required.
- Desire to help other students succeed.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Awareness and sensitivity to individual learning styles and needs.
- Ability to apply study strategies, goal setting, organizational skills, and time management in sessions.
- Mentors will be assigned no more than 2 students.
- Mentors will attend the designated events for the program.
- Mentors will meet with students in person at designated location a minimum of 3 times per month. Meeting times may vary depending on what’s going on at a particular time in the semester. 1 hour minimum for each session.
- Mentors will check in frequently with students via determined method (text, call, etc.).
- Mentors will complete monthly reports for meeting requirements and activities completed.
- Upon completion of mentoring project requirements, Mentors will receive a scholarship for $250 that will be applied to the spring semester.
- The work you do with your Mentee is valuable experience that can be useful when pursuing advanced degrees and employment.
- Notification of Mentor application status: August 1st (sent to student email).
- Mentor Training begins Wednesday, August 16, 2017 (9:00 am to 3:00 pm).
- Meet and Greet Matching Event: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 (10:00 am to 12:00 pm).
- Project Success Celebration: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 (3:00 -4:30 pm). Parents/friends invited!
Application Due Date
- Application is due by Friday, July 14th, 2017.