Professor and Assistant to the Provost for Special Projects
Neural Regulation of Social Reward Behavior and Drug Addiction:
We investigate the neural mechanisms by which social reward experiences influence drug addiction using rodent models.
Spinal Cord Injury:
We study effects of chronic spinal cord injury on reflex generators in the spinal cord that control sexual and bladder function in rodent models.
We study steroid feedback control of GnRH and the neural pathways involved in female reproductive function and dysfunction in disease, using sheep and mouse models.
1990, M.Sc. in Psychology, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands; 1995, Ph.D. in Neuroscience, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands; 1995-96, Postdoctoral Fellow, Yale University; 1996-98 Postdoctoral Fellow, University Maryland, Baltimore
Neuroanatomy, Neuropharmacology, Neurophysiology, Optogenetics, Chemogenetics, Confocal Microscopy, Light Sheet Microscopy, Molecular Neurobiology, Behavioral Analyses for Addiction and Social Behavior, In situ Hybridization, Immunohistochemistry
- For a full list of publications see: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=0TcGF5kAAAAJ&hl=en
- Kuiper LB, Beloate LN, Dupuy BM, Coolen LM. Drug-taking in a socio-sexual context enhances vulnerability for addiction in male rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2019 Feb;44(3):503-513.
- Nestor CC, Bedenbaugh MN, Hileman SM, Coolen LM, Lehman MN, Goodman RL. Regulation of GnRH pulsatility in ewes. Reproduction. 2018 Sep;156(3):R83-R99.
- Weems PW, Coolen LM, Hileman SM, Hardy S, McCosh RB, Goodman RL, Lehman MN. Evidence That Dynorphin Acts Upon KNDy and GnRH Neurons During GnRH Pulse Termination in the Ewe. Endocrinology. 2018 Sep 1;159(9):3187-3199.
- Moore AM, Coolen LM, Porter DT, Goodman RL, Lehman MN. KNDy Cells Revisited. Endocrinology. 2018 Sep 1;159(9):3219-3234.
- Beloate LN, Coolen LM. Effects of Sexual Experience on Psychostimulant- and Opiate-Induced Behavior and Neural Plasticity in the Mesocorticolimbic Pathway. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2018;140:249-270.
- Lehman MN, Coolen LM, et al. The 3rd World Conference on Kisspeptin, "Kisspeptin 2017: Brain and Beyond":Unresolved questions, challenges and future directions for the field. J Neuroendocrinol. 2018 Apr 14
- Weems PW, Lehman MN, Coolen LM, Goodman RL. The Roles of Neurokinins and Endogenous Opioid Peptides in Control of Pulsatile LH Secretion. Vitam Horm. 2018;107:89-135.
- Moore AM, Lucas KA, Goodman RL, Coolen LM, Lehman MN. Three-dimensional imaging of KNDy neurons in the mammalian brain using optical tissue clearing and multiple-label immunocytochemistry. Sci Rep. 2018 Feb 2;8(1):2242.
- Beloate LN, Coolen LM. Influences of social reward experience on behavioral responses to drugs of abuse: Review of shared and divergent neural plasticity mechanisms for sexual reward and drugs of abuse. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017 Dec;83:356-372.
- Kuiper LB, Frohmader KS, Coolen LM. Maladaptive Sexual Behavior Following Concurrent Methamphetamine and Sexual Experience in Male Rats is Associated with Altered Neural Activity in Frontal Cortex. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017 Sep;42(10):2011-2020.
- Weems P, Smith J, Clarke IJ, Coolen LM, Goodman RL, Lehman MN. Effects of Season and Estradiol on KNDy Neuron Peptides, Colocalization With D2 Dopamine Receptors, and Dopaminergic Inputs in the Ewe. Endocrinology. 2017 Apr 1;158(4):831-841. doi: 10.1210/e
- Kozyrev N, Coolen LM. Activation of galanin and cholecystokinin receptors in the lumbosacral spinal cord is required for ejaculation in male rats. Eur J Neurosci. 2017 Mar;45(6):846-858.
Brain Health Research Institute