Admissions into the MS/PhD programs are for Fall semester only.
MS/PhD Admission Requirements
- Official Transcripts
- GRE scores ***THE GRE REQUIREMENT IS CURRENTLY WAIVED***
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college/university
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation (minimum 3)
- English Proficiency (if educated outside the United States)
- GPA average for accepted students 3.5
- Minimum GPA 3.0 required; no conditional admission given
- Solid science background with at least 18 credits of Biology
- Clearly explain in their personal statement why they wish to pursue a MS or PhD in Biology, a description of their research experience and outline their research interests and long-term goals. Students should identify 3-5 faculty who they are interested in working with based on their and the faculty’s research interests. Faculty research interests can be found on the program webpages.
- Meets English proficiency requirement (or eligible for an English language proficiency waiver). CHECK ELIGIBILITY FOR AN ENGLISH PROFICIENCY WAIVER
- 94 TOEFL-internet
- 587 TOEFL-paper
- 7.0 IELTS
- 82 MELAB
- 65 PTE
- 120 Duolingo English Test (DET)
Admission Timeline for Fall Admission
- Applications begin to be accepted August 8th.
- Application deadlines are December 5th for international students and December 15th for domestic students.
- Applications reviewed in January. Applications must be complete at time of review for assistantship consideration.
- Top applicants interviewed February-March.
- Final decisions made March-April.
Admissions into our MS and PhD programs are competitive; thus we do not offer "conditional" admission. These programs are full-time so graduate assistantships are awarded to all admitted MS/PhD students in the form of teaching or research assistantships. Applicants do NOT need to apply separately for an assistantship.
Departmental teaching/research assistantships include:
- A full tuition waiver
- Annual stipend
- Money towards the purchase of health insurance
Additional financial support includes:
- Travel money to conferences
- Graduate Student Senate research awards
- Opportunities to apply for additional graduate student awards/endowments/fellowships
Additional training includes:
- Research Ethics
- Professional Writing Course
- Departmental Seminars Series
- Program Journal Clubs
- Training in use of state-of-the-art equipment and facilities
- Workshops in professional skills and careers