Paralegal Studies Major
PARALEGAL STUDIES minor
Incoming Freshmen - High school seniors interested in paralegal work are encouraged to apply.
Transfer Students - Paralegal students transferring to Kent State will deepen and broaden their education experience. They can focus on both traditional studies and a unique area of interest.
Pre-Med Students - Students who do not receive a B+ in Organic Chemistry, or score below a 20 on the MCAT may want to consider the Joint B.A. in Paralegal Studies/B.A. in Biology program.
CURRICULUM FOR B.A. IN PARALEGAL STUDIES
CATEGORY I: MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING LEGAL SPECIALTY COURSES: 18 HOURS
- PLST 18000 Introduction to Paralegal Studies and Professional Ethics (3)
- PLST 28001 Legal Research and Writing (3)
- PLST 28004 Principles and Practice of Litigation (3)
- PLST 38006 Applied Legal Research and Litigation (3)
- PLST 36792 Internship in Paralegal Studies*
*6 credit hours of internship required, may be taken for up to 12; see program director.
CATEGORY II: MUST COMPLETE EIGHT COURSES FROM THE FOLLOWING: 24 HOURS
- PLST 28003 Family Law and Procedure (3)
- PLST 28007 Estate and Probate Administration (3)
- PLST 35001 Environmental Law (3)
- PLST 35003 Health Law (3)
- PLST 35005 Labor and Employment Law (3)
- PLST 35007 Energy and Natural Resources Law (3)
- PLST 38002 Contract Law (3)
- PLST 38003 Administrative Law and Process (3)
- PLST 38005 Tort Law (3)
- PLST 48300 Law of Corporations & Other Associations (3)
- PLST 48401 Patent Law (3)
- PLST 48403 Patent Prosecution (2)
- PLST 48404 Copyright Law: Basics, Ownership Rights and Liability (3)
- PLST 48407 Trademark Law (3)
TOTAL MAJOR HOURS= 42
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Kent Core Foreign Language 14-18
- Kent Core Additional 6
- Kent Core Basic Sciences 9-10
- Kent Core Composition 6-8
- Kent Core Humanities and Fine Arts 9
- Kent Core Mathematics and Critical Reasoning 3-5
- Kent Core Social Sciences 9
- General Electives (upper division) 16
TOTAL DEGREE HOURS= 121 (minimum)
For more information, please visit the website of Paralegal Studies!