Students have the opportunity to fulfill the ELR through a variety of options. Click the tabs below to learn more about how to fulfill the ELR through each method.
Many majors at KSU already have an ELR-designated course as part of its course requirements. Some students select an ELR-designated course as an elective. To find out if your major includes a designated course, review the major roadmap, speak to your academic advisor or search for ELR-designated courses through FlashLine by following these steps:
- Visit the link above
- Click on “Detailed Class Search”
- Select one or more Subject areas
- Select your campus and course level
- Under Attribute Type select “Experiential Learning Requirement”
- Click “Class Search”
The Plus-1 option allows students the opportunity to receive course credit by attaching a 1 credit-hour addition onto another course. The faculty member for the co-registered course must approve and work with the student to develop an additional class project or research assignment.
To create a Plus-1 Credit Course, complete the application. The faculty supervisor will automatically receive an email prompting them to approve the project. Once approved, Community Engaged Learning will create the course section, register the student, and notify both the student and the faculty supervisor upon registration.
The Non-Course Activity allows non-credit experiences to satisfy the requirement. The student must be a KSU student at the time of completing the non-course activity.
Possible Non-Course Activities include:
- Internships, job shadowing, and other work experiences
- Participation in an Alternative Break Trip
- Creative projects like composing music, writing short stories, or photography projects
- Field work or undergraduate student research
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE NON-COURSE ACTIVITY
- Approval of a faculty supervisor
- A minimum time commitment of 45 hours, which includes travel time and completion of Reflective Assignment
APPLICATIONS FOR NON-COURSE ACTIVITIES
ELR Project Examples
NON-COURSE ACTIVITY EXAMPLES
- A biological sciences student shadowed a pathologist and pathologist assistant at a local hospital.
- A business student created a computer applications system for a non-profit animal rescue, which allowed the organization to discontinue their paper-based filing system.
- A student who participates in the US Army Reserves completed a 2-week construction project in the Dominican Republic, building a schoolhouse and medical clinic for the local community.
- A School of Art student completed an Alternative Spring Break trip to Baltimore to provide direct service and participate in cultural excursions while also learning about social issues affecting the community.
PLUS-1 CREDIT COURSE EXAMPLES
- Students in a Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology course provided services to international students at Kent through the International Conversation Partner program.
- A biological sciences student participated in research on the presence of tracheal pores in the proboscises of butterflies and moths.
Mailing AddressP.O. Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242-0001
Street Address800 E. Summit St.
Kent, OH 44242
Street Address261 Schwartz Center, 800 East Summit Street, Kent, OH 44242
Mailing AddressPO Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242-0001