Christa Porter, Ph.D.
Dr. Christa J. Porter (she/her) is Associate Dean for the Graduate College & Associate Professor of Higher Education Administration and Student Affairs in the College of Education, Health and Human Services (EHHS). As a critical qualitative researcher, Dr. Porter’s areas of expertise include: (1) policies and practices that influence the development and trajectory of Black women in higher education at diverse institutional types; (2) college student development (at the intersections of identities); and (3) research and praxis in higher education and student affairs (how and why we do what we do). She has been nationally recognized for her scholarship, teaching, and service, and her work appears in various peer reviewed journals, such as Review of Educational Research; Journal of College Student Development; Journal of Higher Education; Gender, Work & Organization; and Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice. Dr. Porter co-edited the award-winning book, Case studies for student development theory: Advancing social justice and inclusion in higher education (2020, Routledge), and additional co-edited texts include: Applying Black feminist epistemology, research, and praxis: Narratives in and through the academy (2023, Routledge), and Small & mighty: Student affairs at small colleges and universities (2023, NASPA).
- Greg Jarvie Students First Award; Division of Student Affairs, Kent State University, 2022
- AERA Review of Research Award; Porter, C. J., & Byrd, J. A. (2021). Understanding influences of development on Black women’s success in college: A synthesis of literature. Review of Educational Research, 91(6), 803-830.
- Outstanding Publication Award; NASPA-Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education Faculty Council. Awarded for Co-editing book: Case studies for student development theory: Advancing social justice and inclusion in higher education (2020, Routledge)
- Students’ Choice Teaching Award, College of Education, Health and Human Services, Kent State University, 2021 & 2019
- Featured as one of Fall 2018 Researchers, College of Education, Health and Human Services, Kent State University
- Advancing Diversity Scholarship Award, University College and the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Kent State University, 2018
- Annuit Coeptis Emerging Professional Award, American College Personnel Association (ACPA), 2018
- Member, Diversity Scholars Network, National Center for Institutional Diversity, University of Michigan, 2017 – present
- Emerging Scholar, American College Personnel Association (ACPA), 2017-2019
- Emerging Scholar in Residence, Coalition for Women’s Identities, ACPA, 2016-2018
- Research and Scholarship Award, Coalition for Women’s Identities, ACPA, 2015
- Melvene D. Hardee Dissertation of the Year Award Runner Up, Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA), 2014
- Dissertation of the Year Award Runner Up, American Association of Blacks in Higher Education, 2014