WHAT IS ACADEMIC ADVISING?
The mission of advising in the Vacca Office of Student Services is to provide quality academic advising to our students by educating, empowering, and enriching their experiences through an appropriate balance of challenge and support.
The Vacca Office of Student Services provides advising to all undergraduate students in the College of Education, Health and Human Services as well as students seeking information about majors, minors, or certificates in the college.
ADVISING MODEL FOR EHHS
Required advising appointment with your professional advisor as follows:
- Once each semester for all students who started attending in Summer 2012 and beyond (for all class levels - freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior level students).
- A minimum of once per year once you reach senior status (but you are welcome to see your advisor more frequently).
- Must be a scheduled advising appointment (not during Office Hours and not a walk-in, which is 15 minutes maximum).
- If you've never met with an advisor in our office, your first advising appointment will generally be 30 minutes in length, which will give you and your advisor time to get to know one another, go over your GPS plan, review your major, and answer any questions that you have.
- Most of your advising appointments after that will be 30 minutes in length with a few exceptions, such as if you change your major or you are on academic probation. If you live more than 60 minutes away, you can conduct your appointment over the phone - just schedule an appointment and type in the comments that you'll like to make a phone appointment. At your appointment time, call 330-672-2862 and the receptionist will transfer you to your advisor. Please have your advising documents and computer access available.
- Advisors have Walk-In Hours (formerly known as office hours) - 2 hours twice a week for a total of 4 hours - where you can ask a quick question without having to make an appointment (15 minutes maximum in length). Visiting your advisor during walk-in appointments does not count as your required advising appointment. To see when your advisor has Walk-Ins available, click on Who is My Advisor.
ADVISING IN THE GYM ANNEX
- Please click on the 'Who is My Advisor' link on the left for information about advising appointments in the Annex.