Financial Aid Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement

What is a financial aid ad hoc consortium agreement?

If you are a current Kent State degree seeking student and will be taking transient coursework at another institution, you may be able to use some of your federal or state financial aid to help cover the costs of those courses. A Financial Aid Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement is an agreement between the student, Kent State University, and the visiting institution on how your financial aid is awarded. As your home institution, Kent State University can authorize the use of your financial aid for coursework taken at another school. Your financial aid could be adjusted depending on how many credit hours you are taking and the charges you are paying to the visiting university.

Is this form required?

Please note that the Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement is an optional form for students taking transient course work. This form is not required for a student to receive academic credit for their transient work.  Aid received as part of the agreement will be paid directly to you if you do not have a balance due at Kent State University or are not already taking any courses at KSU. Any aid disbursed as part of the consortium agreement will count towards your life-time eligibility for that aid. This includes your Federal Pell Grant and Federal Direct Loans, as well as the Ohio College Opportunity Grant. All aid is subject to normal regulations, such as enrollment requirements and satisfactory academic progress requirements. Institutional scholarships and awards are not eligible for transient coursework.

Who should fill out the financial aid ad hoc consortium agreement?

  • KSU Students that have completed their FAFSA and wish to use their federal or state aid to pay for charges at a visiting institution.
  • KSU Students with a Pell Grant or Ohio College Opportunity Grant who are enrolled in less than 12 credit hours at KSU while enrolled at a visiting school during the same semester. (example: taking 6 credit hours at KSU and 3 credit hours at another school would increase your time status from half time, 6 hours, to three quarter time, 9 hours).
  • KSU Students who wish to use their Federal Direct Loans and are not already enrolled in at least 6 credit hours at KSU during the semester they are applying and are enrolled at the visited school where the combined enrollment would total 6 credit hours

Who should Not fill out the financial aid ad hoc consortium agreement?

  • Non-KSU students or guest students at Kent State University. Non-KSU students will need to work with their home university financial aid office to complete their home school’s version of the Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement.
  • KSU Students who will not be using federal or state aid plan to pay out-of-pocket for their transient coursework at the visited school.
  • KSU Students that do not complete the FAFSA or have exhausted all their federal and state aid eligibility.

Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement Requirements

To be eligible for an Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement you must;

  1. Have a current FAFSA on file.
  2. Work with your academic advisor to complete the Transfer Course Planning form for the course you will be taking at the visiting institution.
  3. Be admitted and registered in the courses you are taking at the visiting institution.
  4. Complete the Financial Aid Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement. Your Transfer Course Planning form and a copy of your Course Schedule must be attached to the Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement.

After you have completed your coursework, you must submit your transcripts of your final grades to the university. For financial aid you may submit a copy of your final grade report or an unofficial copy of your transcript for the course work listed on the consortium agreement to A financial aid hold will be placed on your account, and you will not be eligible for future financial aid until the acceptable grade documentation has been received by the financial aid office. For academic credit you will still need to submit your official transcript to the University. Electronic transcripts can be sent directly to the Office of Admissions at Kent State University. If an email is required, you can use

Guest Students

Guest students taking courses at Kent State University can work with their home institution’s financial aid office to check if their home institution offers an Ad Hoc Consortium agreement to use aid from you home institution for your course work at KSU. Guest students can send their Ad Hoc Consortium Agreements to