Transfer Students

If you are transferring to Kent State from another college or university, you can apply for all types of aid, including scholarships specifically for transfer students. 

Financial aid awards are determined by your eligibility.  Federal aid utilized at your previous school will be reviewed to determine remaining eligibility available to award at Kent State.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are scholarships available for transfer students?

At Kent State, transfer students are eligible for both merit scholarships and transfer scholarships. To learn more about eligibility, visit the Scholarships for Transfer Students website

How do I apply for financial aid at Kent State?

In order to apply for financial aid, you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you already filed the FAFSA, but did not list Kent State on the FAFSA, you will need to add Kent State’s school code (003051) to the FAFSA. You can make a correction to the FAFSA at

You may need to submit additional documentation, in addition to the FAFSA, if requested. Outstanding requirements will be viewable in FlashLine once the FAFSA is received. After all requested documents are reviewed and the file is complete, Kent State will award financial aid, if eligible. You will be notified when you can view and accept/decline/reduce your financial aid awards (including federal aid, state aid and university scholarships) in FlashLine under Financial Aid Awards.

What if I already received aid at my previous school for the current school year?

Students that borrowed a Federal Student Loan or received a portion of their Federal Pell Grant during the same academic year that they are starting at Kent State, must contact their previous school’s financial aid office and notify them that they will not be returning. That school must cancel any remaining undisbursed student aid including student loans and grants.

Kent State may not receive a record of the financial aid the student received at the previous school before awarding. In that case, once the updated information is transmitted to Kent State via Transfer Monitoring, awards could be reduced or cancelled.

What is Transfer Monitoring?

Transfer monitoring procedures are used to verify with the federal Department of Education, through the National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS), if you used federal student aid at a previous institution. The transfer monitoring process is conducted even if you report you did not receive financial aid at any other school. There is no action required by you during this process.

If Kent State receives notification of aid utilized at another school during the same period of enrollment, a financial aid hold will be placed on your financial aid disbursement until the financial aid award amounts are reviewed again to determine if you were awarded funds exceeding your annual financial aid limit.

If I transfer midyear, am I eligible for financial aid?

Many students that transfer midyear into Kent State have already received Federal Pell Grant and/or Federal Direct Loan funds at their previous school. Depending on the point in the academic year in which you transfer, your aid eligibility will be limited if you already accessed a portion of your aid elsewhere. 

If you transfer to Kent State after our academic year has begun, your financial aid will be calculated based upon your remaining eligibility for federal funds. You cannot receive Federal Grants at two different institutions at the same time. More information on annual and aggregate loan limits can be found on our loan limits website.

How will my Annual Federal Loan Limit be calculated?

The number of credits that you transfer into Kent State will determine your class level (first-year, second-year, third-year, etc.) Your Annual Federal Loan Limit will be based on your class level. 

If you were not previously enrolled or did not receive aid at another institution during the current academic year, you will be offered the maximum financial aid award for your class level based on your remaining eligibility. More information on transferring credits can be found at the Transfer Center.