I have long been interested in aspects and geographic manifestations of ethnic identity. This has led to extensive research on 1) urban segregation patterns in cities around the world, including its relationship to housing finance and economic opportunity; and 2) national identity, borderlands, and separatist movements.
In addition, I am studying the consequences of global urbanization, mortgage lending, urban planning and design, sustainable transportation issues, and the history of geography through analysis of dissertations..
I am the editor-in-chief of the Geographical Review and editor of National Identities.
- Scaling Identities: Nationalism and Territory, with G. Herb. Rowman & Littlefield. 2018.
- Navigating Ethnicity: Segregation, Placemaking and Difference. Rowman & Littlefield. 2018.
- Urban Geography, with S. Holloway, third edition. John Wiley and Sons. 2014. Translated into Korean and Chinese.
- Human Geography. with J. Malinowski. McGraw-Hill. 2012.
- Cambridge World Atlas, with G. Herb and M. Monmonier. Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Nations and Nationalism: A Global Historical Overview (4 volumes) with G. Herb. ABC-CLIO. 2008.
- Landscapes of the Ethnic Economy, with W. Li (eds). Rowman and Littlefield. 2006.
- Boundaries and Place: European Borderlands in Geographical Context, with J. Hakli (eds). Rowman and Littlefield. :2002.
- Nested Identities, with G. Herb (eds). Rowman and Littlefield. 1999.
- Segregation in Cities, with S. Holloway. AAG Resource Publication. 1998.
- Where are the Women? Accounting for Discrepancies in Female Doctorates in U.S. Geography with J. Mapes. The Professional Geographer, 2016
- Multi-Ethnic Economic Activity Along Three Immigrant Corridors in Paris, with C. Recoquillon. The Professional Geographer, 2016
- Developing a Next Generation Campus Bike Share Program: Examining Demand and Supply Factors, with Melanie Knowles. Planning for Higher Education, 2015
- Placing Immigrant Identities with E. Chacko. The Journal of Cultural Geography, 2015
- Immigration and the Making of Place in Paris. The Journal of Cultural Geography 2015.
Transportation Sustainability on a University Campus International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 2014.
Ethnicity, Poverty and Place within a Parisian Neighborhood with C. Recoquillon. The Geographical Review, 2014.
Geopolitics : la géopolitique dans le monde anglo-américain, with F. Douzet. Herodote 2012.
Prospects for Poor Neighborhoods in the Broadband Era: Neighborhood Level Influences on Technology Use at Work, with K. Mossberger. Economic Development Quarterly. 2012.
How Geography Shapes National Identities with G. Herb. National Identities 2011
Research in Ethnic Segregation III: Segregation Outcomes with F. Douzet. Urban Geography 2011
Saisies immobilières et prêts à taux variables dans les quartiers: quelques exemples américains. Hérodote 132 2009
An Analysis of the Relationship between Housing Foreclosures, Lending Practices, and Neighborhood Ecology: Evidence from a Distressed County, with G. Sommers. The Professional Geographer 2009
- Entrepreneurship and Neighborhood among African Americans in Cleveland, Ohio” with B. House-Soremekun. International Journal of Business and Globalisation. 2009
- Cities Destroyed (Again) For Cash: Forum On The U.S. Foreclosure Crisis: Foreclosures, Predatory Lending, And Reverse Redlining” with J. Crump, K. Newman, E. Belsky, P. Ashton, and D. Hammel. Urban Geography 2008.
- Going Online without Easy Access: A Tale of Three Cities” With K. Mossberger and M. Gilbert. Journal of Urban Affairs 2008.