Outcomes Assessments and ACTFL Proficiency Exams
OUTCOMES ASSESSMENT EXAMS
All students pursuing a major in the Department of Modern and Classical Language studies must complete one or more outcomes assessment exams prior to graduation. Students should contact their language faculty advisor to make arrangements for completing their major outcomes assessments. Additionally students pursing a B.A. in French, German, Spanish and Russian must take the ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test (iWPT) and ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPIc) and submit their results to the department of Modern and Classical Language Studies.
How to sign up for and submit ACTFL OPIc and iWPT results
You will need a headset with microphone for the ACTFL OPIc and access to a computer and reliable Internet services for both exams.
- In a new browser window or tab, go to https://www.languagetesting.com/
- Search for your institution or school program (far right, top corner).
- When the prompt asks "Are you testing for state teacher certification?" select NO unless you are minoring in Education to be licensed to teach language, in which case you should select YES.
- You will be asked to enter an institution name. Type Kent State. It will automatically pull up a few options. Click on Kent State Univ., Modern & Classical Languages.
- Select your language and continue to select your tests.
- Select the tests you want to register for:
- OPIc (takes 15 to 30 minutes; you will need a computer and headset with microphone)
- WPT Internet (takes approximately 80 minutes; you will need a computer)
- Select the appropriate response to the self-assessment questions to estimate your own language ability. Be as honest and accurate as possible. If you greatly underestimate or overestimate your abilities, your test results might be invalid. If you are unsure how to answer the self-assessment, contact your language faculty advisor.
- For your proctor, choose WEB-BASED PROCTORING.
- Provide a date and time when you are available to take the test on your own computer.
- When you are notified of your results, send an electronic copy of your certificates to the attention of the MCLS Undergraduate Coordinator email@example.com from your Kent State University email account.
STUDENTS TAKING ACTFL EXAMS FOR LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY WAIVER
Kent State University's policy for language proficiency waivers can be found in the Undergraduate Student Catalog under the University Readiness Standards and Placement section.
If your language requirement is through Elementary II of a language (check your GPS record and consult with your academic advisor to confirm), follow the steps above for the ACTFL OPIc.
If your language requirement is through Intermediate II of a language (check your GPS record and consult with your academic advisor to confirm), follow the steps above for the iWPT.
(Page updated 8/7/2020)