Outcomes Assessments and ACTFL Proficiency Exams
OUTCOMES ASSESSMENT EXAMS
All students pursuing a major in the Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies must complete one or more outcomes assessment exams prior to graduation. Students should contact their language faculty advisor to make arrangements for completing their major outcomes assessments. Additionally, students pursing a B.A. in French, German, Spanish and Russian must take the ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test (iWPT) and ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPIc) and submit their results to the Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies.
1. How to sign up for ACTFL OPIc and iWPT Exams
Exams are administered by Language Testing International (LTI). You will need a headset with microphone for the ACTFL OPIc and access to a computer and reliable Internet services for both exams.
- In a new browser window or tab, go to https://www.languagetesting.com/
- On the left side of the screen you will see an option to select the language for which to wish to be tested.
- Choose the language and click on the Get Certified button.
- On the next screen you will see several options.
- Find the option in the right-hand column called "Programs with ACTFL Requirements" and click on the Choose Test Button.
- Type "Kent State" into the search box and choose the option that says "Kent State Univ., Modern & Classical Language" so that your exam results go into the correct database.
- Add ACTFL OPIc or ACTFL iWPT to your shopping cart.
- After adding the exams, click "Continue to Schedule".
- Select the "Web-based proctoring" option and the time zone in which you are currently residing (US and Canada Eastern if you leave near Kent State University)
- Select your the day/date and available and hit the Next button.
- You do not need to select any special options.
- First-time users will need to set up an account with LTI.
- Pay for your exam.
- Repeat the steps above for each exam.
- Once exams are paid for, LTI will send you additional instructions for taking the exams.
2. Submitting your results to MCLS
When you are notified of your results, send an electronic copy of your certificates to the attention of the MCLS Undergraduate Coordinator email@example.com from your Kent State University email account. Badges are not acceptable documentation. After getting your results, log into the Language Testing International Website and download copies of your certificates. Teacher-licensure candidates should also send a copy to the MCLS Pedagogy Coordinator, Dr. Rebecca Chism at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STUDENTS TAKING ACTFL EXAMS FOR LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY WAIVERS
Kent State University's policy for language proficiency waivers can be found in the Undergraduate Student Catalog under the University Readiness Standards and Placement section. If your language requirement is through Elementary II of a language (check your GPS record and consult with your academic advisor to confirm), follow the steps above for the ACTFL OPIc. If your language requirement is through Intermediate II of a language (check your GPS record and consult with your academic advisor to confirm), follow the steps above for the iWPT.
(Page updated 9/22/2021)