Presentation title: Mural by Mahmoud Darwish
- The aim of this presentation is to examine translation as a process of decision making and cultural negotiation in the case of Darwish’s Mural.
- The presentation today constitutes a snapshot of a course in preparation on Arabic literature in translation, which will be offered for undergraduate students at the 300/400 level.
- The course begins with theoretical discussions about translation in general attempting to answer the question: What is gained in translation? So some of the themes and topics that we will discuss in class are:
- The translator’s voice and visibility
- Translation as a decision-making process
- How can we understand culture through translation?
- The idea of loyalty
- Ideology and translation
Translation as a decision-making process
How can we understand Culture through translation?
The idea of loyalty
Ideology and translation