Dr. Yin is an Assistant Professor of Geography at Kent State University. Prior to joining KSU in 2020, He was a postdoctoral researcher at University of Wisconsin-Madison and a senior researcher at the Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn in Germany.
He develops remote sensing approaches and solutions to monitor land use and land cover change, enabling understanding of how such changes affect our environment and society via land system analysis. He is the principal investigator on projects funded by NASA, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR). His recent projects include investigating the impacts of armed conflict on land use, cropland abandonment, and grassland management using remote sensing, geospatial analysis, and modeling approaches. He has published more than 40 publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals. He currently serves as coordinator of the Global Land Programme (GLP) Working Group "Agricultural Land Abandonment as a Global Land-Use Change Phenomenon".
- Crawford, C. Yin, H. Radeloff, V.C. Wilcove, D.S. (2022): Rural land abandonment is too ephemeral to provide major benefits for biodiversity and climate. Science Advances 8 (21), eabm8999
- Buchner, J. Butsic, V. Yin, H. … and Radeloff, V. (2022): Localized versus wide-ranging effects of the post-Soviet wars in the Caucasus on agricultural abandonment. Global Environmental Change. 76: 102580
- Yin, H. Tan, B. Frantz, D. Radeloff, V.C. (2022): Integrated topographic corrections improve forest mapping using Landsat imagery International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 108: 102716
- de Castro, P.I.B. Yin, H. Domingo, P. Teixera Junior, P.D. Lacerda, E. Pedroso, R. Lautenbach, S. Vicens, R.S. (2022): Sugarcane abandonment mapping in Rio de Janeiro state Brazil. Remote Sensing of Environment. 280: 113194
- Schulz, D. Yin, H. Tischbein, B. ... and Kumar, N. (2021): Land use mapping using Sentinel-1 and Sentinel-2 time series in a heterogeneous landscape in Niger, Sahel. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 178: 97-111
- Yin, H. Brandão Jr., A. Buchner, J. ... and Radeloff, V. (2020): Monitoring cropland abandonment with Landsat time series. Remote Sensing of Environment. 246: 111873
- Yin, H. Butsic, V. Buchner, J. ... and Radeloff, V. (2019): Agricultural abandonment and re-cultivation during and after the Chechen Wars in the northern Caucasus. Global Environmental Change. 55: 149-159
- Yin, H. Prishchepov, A. Kuemmerle, T. ... and Radeloff, V. (2018): Mapping agricultural land abandonment from spatial and temporal segmentation of Landsat time series. Remote Sensing of Environment. 210: 12-24
- Yin, H. Pflugmacher, D. Li, A. Li, Z.G. and Hostert, P. (2018): Land use and land cover change in Inner Mongolia – understanding the effects of China’s re-vegetation programs. Remote Sensing of Environment. 204: 918-930
- Yin, H. Khamzina, A. Pflugmacher, D. and Martius, C. (2017): Forest cover mapping in post-Soviet Central Asia using multi-resolution remote sensing imagery. Scientific Reports. 7:1375
- 2021 NASA New (Early Career) Investigator Program in Earth Science