Flashfast Licensing - The Ohio IP Promise
Flashfast Licensing is designed to establish a clear, easy to understand process for licensing intellectual property developed at Kent State University from industry sponsored research.
Sponsored Research Licensing Options:
Option 1: Non-Exclusive Royalty Free License
- Sponsored Research Agreement (“SRA”) incudes a royalty-free, non-exclusive license.
- No upfront fees or minimum annual royalties.
- Sponsor receives a first option to negotiate an exclusive license for any IP developed from the SRA.
Option 2: Paid-Up Exclusive License. Sponsor receives an exclusive license for any IP developed from the SRA
- Sponsor pre-pays the greater of $15,000 or 15% of the total SRA budget.
- No minimum annual royalty, sublicensing fees or initial running royalties.
- License requires 2% royalty on the sale of licensed products once cumulative sales reach $10 million.
- Option 2 is not available for projects involving federal, non-profit or other non-commercial sponsor funding or consortia agreements.
Note (For both options):
A) Background IP may not be automatically included in the licensed IP;
B) the sponsor is responsible for payment of all patent expenses; and c) an agreement among Sponsor, the Office of Technology Commercialization, and the faculty investigator regarding SRA options and IP rights must be established prior to the start of the research project.
For additional information, please contact the Office of Technology Commercialization.