Welcome to the Resident Assistant website!
This site is designed to give you an overview of the Resident Assistant (RA) position and will provide you with all the resources you will need to begin the process of applying for this fantastic leadership opportunity! We are confident that the skills gained by our staff members are highly applicable to any future job endeavor, and we are equally certain the RA position is the most unique, challenging, and rewarding student position offered on Kent State University’s campus.
The Department of Residence Services seeks applicants who stand out among their peers, are capable of handling responsibility, and have a strong academic standing with the University. Candidates must also have the interest and ability to relate to students from a variety of cultural backgrounds and lifestyles. In carrying out the mission of the department, RAs are responsible for developing communities that emphasize self-awareness, support and develop relationships, engage students in learning, encourage responsible citizenship and honor human differences. In doing so, RAs also assist with the administrative functions needed to run the hall community.
Candidates must meet eligibility requirements (listed below) and successfully complete the RA Selection Process. This process includes four parts: Information Meeting, Online Application, Consideration for Selection , and the Leadership for Dynamic Communities workshop.
- 2.50 current & cumulative GPA and 30 credit hours for undergraduates, 3.00 current & cumulative GPA for graduate students. Candidates must maintain the required GPA at all points of the selection process.
- Must be admitted to Kent State University by the RA Application Deadline.
- Applicants cannot currently be under sanction from the Office of Student Conduct.
- Must have lived in University housing for at least one semester/quarter.
- Minimum on-campus residency of 1 academic semester at Kent State University (may include the current semester); OR
- Minimum on-campus residency of 1 academic semester or quarter at another college or university
- Attend an RA information session.
- Candidates must be available/eligible to work 28 hours per week
- Candidates must be available to reside on the Kent campus for the entire academic year.
Candidates who will not be present on the Kent campus for both the fall and spring semesters (due to December graduation, study abroad, internship, or any other reason) are not eligible to apply for an RA position.
Consideration for Selection
Candidates who meet eligibility requirements and who complete the application will be reviewed by the RA Recruitment and Selection (RARS) Committee to be considered for selection. RA candidates will be evaluated based on the submitted application materials, cover letter/resume, essay question responses, and references. Candidates may then be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
Candidates that are invited to enroll in a section of the Leadership for Dynamic Communities (LDC) workshop, which is held during the spring semester, must successfully complete this course and receive a recommendation from the instructor(s) to be placed in the “Eligible for Hire” pool from which Residence Hall Directors fill vacant staff positions.