Admissions and Costs for Online M.A. in Translation
To be considered for acceptance into the Online M.A. in Translation program, please read over our admissions guidelines and requirements and then apply online (below).
The tuition rate for the Online M.A. in Translation program is $536 per credit hour. The program requires 36 semester hours of coursework over two years for full-time students, including a case study in translation. Students can also complete the program on a part-time basis, just one of the many benefits of an online translation degree.
- Additional fees include a $15.00/hr distance learning fee and $10.00/hr out-of-state surcharge
- The Software Localization course, TRST 60012, has a fee of $45
- Students will not need to purchase any online software. They will be given access to a virtual machine with all the software needed
- Several courses in the program will require students to purchase textbooks
Admissions Guidelines and Requirements
In addition to submitting the application materials and fee and official transcripts required by university admission procedures, our departmental requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- A CD or MP3/wav file with a five-minute oral sample in the applicant's first and second languages (conversational, not read from a script)
- Writing sample(s) in applicant's second language,1 which should be accompanied by a signed declaration that the sample is original work and that the applicant received no help in its preparation
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 550 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum79 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 77 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.5 IELTS score
- Minimum 58 PTE score
- Minimum 110 Duolingo English Test score
Benefits of an Online Translation Degree
Online translation degree benefits include:
- Lower overall cost than traditional in-person university due to no need for campus housing
- In an online learning environment, students can take the course at their own
- pace with constant access to many online resources and learning tools
- Ability to communicate with peers and professors in real time
- Over 90% graduation rate for our program
Ultimately, the many benefits of a translation degree online mean students can effectively prepare for their careers while balancing their lives outside of school. Additionally, students who graduate with an online degree in translation open themselves up to a wide variety of opportunities across diverse industries.
What You Will Gain
After completing the Online M.A. in Translation at Kent State you will walk away with enhanced technological skills, exposure to online translation tools, opportunities to interact with translation professionals, and the ability to contribute greatly to companies and society at large. Many graduates go into the career fields of language consulting, copywriting, and freelance translation.
Start Your application
We encourage students to apply by June 1 to make sure they have a spot in the fall class.
After hearing all the benefits of an online translation degree, are you ready to begin your application? Reach out to us!