Off-Campus Federal Work Study

What is Off-Campus Federal Work Study?

The Off-Campus Federal Work Study (FWS) Program is a federally funded and need-based program that offers off-campus jobs for eligible students enrolled at least half time. This program allows students to earn money to help pay education expenses and to gain employment that is connected to the community and related to their academic pursuits.

FWS eligibility is determined when students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. FWS does not directly pay tuition and fees; instead, once hired in an Off-Campus Federal Work Study position, students will receive a paycheck that is subtracted from their total award over the course of the year. 

What are the benefits of participating in the Off-Campus Federal Work Study program?

The Off-Campus Federal Work Study program offers benefits to both eligible students and employers. 

Through the Off-Campus FWS program, students…

  • Impact the communities surrounding Kent State through their work experience at local non-profit organizations or government agencies
  • Experience opportunities for networking and developing connections in their professional community 
  • Connect their academic pursuits to their professional setting

Through the Off-Campus FWS program, employers…

  • Add motivated students to staff prepared to make original contributions to organization
  • Collect reimbursement for 75% of FWS students’ earnings (100% if participating through America Reads / America Counts)
  • Increase exposure of organization to prospective full-time employees

Where can I find more information on the Off-Campus Federal Work Study program at Kent State?

For more information:

Click here if you’re a student looking for an Off-Campus Federal Work Study job.

Click here if you’re an employer looking to create and fill Off-Campus Federal Work Study jobs.

Where can I find information on other paid learning experiences offered at Kent State?

Be sure to visit Kent State’s Career Exploration and Development website to learn more about employment, internships, co-ops, and other paid learning experiences.