Fall Protection Program
Safety Monitor Instructional Guidelines
The instructions to the roof safety monitor must be relayed and understood before an employee or supervisor can act in that capacity.
- Safety monitors must be engaged in no other work except for monitoring the activities of employees performing high work.
- Safety monitors should preferably be a supervisor, but a properly trained bargaining unit worker can also be a safety monitor.
- Safety monitors must be in constant visual and verbal contact with the employees they are monitoring.
- Safety monitors are to be aware of roof conditions, changing weather and general surroundings and instruct workers to stop and get off the roof when necessary.
- Safety monitors must ensure that the employees they are monitoring do not engage in unsafe practices.