Admission Criterion

Students considered for this program must:

  • Be identified with an Intellectual or Developmental Disability, Traumatic Brain Injury, or Autism between the ages of 18-26
  • Be highly motivated to achieve independent, social, academic, and career goals
  • Cannot get into college through traditional means (e.g. cannot pass ACT)
  • At least 18 years of age
  • Have exited from high school before the first day of the fall semester of the year accepted into the program
  • Have a minimum of a 4th-grade reading ability
  • Parents understand and support program goals
Estimated Costs per Year (based on 2016-2017 academic year)
  Resident per Year Non-Resident per Year
Tuition $10,012 $19,920
Room & Board $10,400 $9908
Support Fees $4,000 $4,000
Independent Living Mentor (ILM) Applies only to first-year residential students. The ILM provides support evenings and weekends to help the student to learn how to become socially active while living on campus and how to manage daily living skills more independently.  Costs vary each year depending on the number of students and the number of ILMs needed.  The cost for the ILMs is divided equally between CCS dorm students.
Additional costs: Textbooks, Transportation, Independent Living Assessment*, Independent Living Mentor Fees, etc. Depends on coursework/travel, and whether a student wants to live in a dorm. Depends on coursework/travel.
*Any student wishing to live on campus must complete a one week-long dorm assessment in order to determine independent living readiness. Estimated costs for this assessment is $1,600.
Courses Offered

Students take a combination of CCS specialized courses and Kent State courses. CCS courses focus on increasing independent living, personal-social, academic, and career skills. There are a wide array of Kent State courses available dependent on students' interest and career focus. Examples are, but not limited to:

  • Techniques of Food Production
  • Elementary Photography
  • Issues in Law & Society
  • Fundamentals of Meteorology
  • Applied Music - Voice
  • Science of Human Nutrition
  • General Psychology
  • Child Psychology
  • Community Development & Recreation
  • Sport in Society
Financial-Aid Possibilities
  • Students are able to apply for FAFSA Pell grants and work study.
  • FAFSA eligibility is determined by parent income.
  • There are a few financial institutions such as Sallie Mae that provide Parent Plus loans for non-degree programs.
  • Students are not able to take out student loans.
  • If you would like to talk to someone to receive more information about Financial Aid and to determine what you could plan on for aid contact Anissa at:
    Anissa Strickland
    Assoc Director, Student Financial Aid
    Student Financial Aid Office, Kent Campus

    Phone: 330-672-2972
    Fax: 330-672-4014
  • We are working to establish scholarships through foundations, but this option is not currently available. However, if you know of anyone who may be interested in contributing to a scholarship fund to help cover tuition costs for eligible CCS students, please contact Vonnie Michali
  • Be sure to check our Resource page as other funding opportunities become available they will be listed there.
Academic Services
  • Students can receive accommodations through the Office of Student Accessibility Services (SAS) for any KSU courses the student will take. Examples of accommodations include extended test time, quiet room for tests, or a scribe. SAS will determine what accommodation a student receives using the Americans w/ Disabilities Act (ADA). While in high school, IDEA/IEP provided many more accommodations than what adult students will get. We feel it important to teach adult students how to use these accommodations to the fullest, to understand disability laws, and to advocate for the accommodations when needed so that they will be prepared for adult life. Some students have their own adaptive technology. CCS will require students to know how to use their technology, and be able to enter information on their own. For example: If a student uses adaptive technology to read assignments to them, then the student needs to know how to enter the reading assignment into the equipment independently. Again, the goal of CCS is to help the student become as independent as possible.
  • Students receive modifications through the Career and Community Studies program. Any CCS course is already modified to individual student abilities. CCS courses have accommodations built in. Student progress is indicated with a letter grade.
  • Students sitting in on KSU courses will facilitate a meeting with KSU faculty and CCS faculty to advocate for any modifications to be made to the KSU course requirements. Students are supported throughout this process. Student progress is indicated with a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.
  • Students will attend Academic Support Labs where tutoring will be provided for all coursework.
  • Academic mentors will initially attend KSU courses with the CCS student. A fading process will occur until the CCS student can attend the course on their own, but will then return to the Academic Support Lab for further instruction and tutoring.
  • Students need a minimum of 120 credits to receive a Record of Completion. There are no KSU credits, all will be CCS credits however, minimum credit distribution is 32: KSU/inclusive credits, 26 work/internship credits, and 50 CCS course credits.
  • All students will have a CCS Academic Advisor who is available to provide advice and assistance as they plan academic schedules. Students will also periodically meet with a KSU academic advisor to share information about their courses.
  • Academic mentors fill the role as a peer to peer guide to help CCS students learn how to be a college student. Mentors attend KSU courses with the student while the student is learning where the class is and expectations of being a college student but will fade as soon as the student is ready to navigate and attend class independently. Mentors meet the student back in the Academic Support Labs where tutoring and help with homework is provided. Mentors are undergraduate and graduate KSU students.
  • With the exception of going to a KSU course with the student, CCS students will never have a continuous one-to-one mentor. The goal of the program is to "work ourselves out of a job" meaning that we want students to learn to be as independent as possible. CCS is a program that transitions adult-aged college students into adult life. It is a four year program to help the student to rely less on parents and what they had in high school for support systems and more on themselves and what American with Disabilities Act provides for accommodations.
  • While students are learning to rely less on others and to be more responsible for their decisions and life goals, this is often a very difficult time for parents. Parents must get comfortable with having less control and to allow their adult child to make some mistakes - which is when lessons are learned the best. With the best of intentions, parents want to help - sometimes too much - and are not "working themselves out of a job". CCS helps students develop the coping skills and self-determination skills so that should the day come that a parent is not there to help the student can manage. 
Employment Experiences & Outcomes
  • During Sophomore year, students will have a 3 credit (9 hours/week) on-campus work experiences where students will improve work skills and personal-social skills. These work experiences may or may not be in the student’s career interest.
  • During Junior year, students will continue to have weekly work experiences (12 hours/week) but with a focus on the identified career specialization. These experiences may or may not be on campus.
  • During Senior year, students will participate in internships in their career interest (3-36 hours/week). These internships may or may not be on-campus; may or may not be paid internships; and may or may not develop into on-going employment opportunities.
  • All students will have a CCS Career Advisor as they explore and prepare for their careers and work experiences. All CCS students also have access and will use Kent State Career Exploration and Development for things such as career assessments, researching jobs and employment opportunities, and practicing employment readiness skills.
On-Campus Living

Students do have the opportunity to live in the dorms with the following contingencies:
  • All students must complete a four-day/four-night independent living assessment in order to determine independent living readiness. This mock college experience will be held in June of each year. If a student demonstrates basic independent skills he/she may be able to live in a dorm that Fall. Should a student not demonstrate the necessary basic skills, he/she will receive a report indicating areas needing improvement, and if they desire to participate in the assessment again, can do so.
  • The first year a student lives in the dorm, if possible they will live with another CCS student in the Education, Health, and Human Service (EHHS) college specific dorm. Having another CCS student for a roommate depends on whether there is an even matching of CCS students. Should a student not have another CCS student as a roommate, a random roommate will be assigned. The EHHS dorm houses education majors and has a wonderful learning environment for our students to gain additional independent and social skills. Subsequent years, students may choose who their roommate is and choose a different dorm to live in. 
  • Residential Advisors (RA's) and Hall Directors work closely with CCS staff and provide assistance to CCS students for any issues that may arise within the dorm setting.
  • The first year that students live in a dorm, parents will share costs for an Independent Living Mentor(s) (ILM) who will guide students as they navigate campus events and activities in the evenings and on weekends. After the first year, dependent upon student ability, he/she may not need an ILM. Approximate ILM ration to student is 1 to 3.
Counseling and Health Supports available for your students with ID    

     CCS students are able to use mental health counseling services that are free to all KSU students, providing that the mental health needs are not beyond the scope of what is provided on campus. Should Counseling Services determine that a student requires more intensive mental health counseling, a recommendation and/or referral will be made to an outside professional. 

     The Health Center provides services to all students for medical needs. Students will complete a class assignment in the freshman year where they will make an appointment and become an established patient at the Health Center on campus. This assignment is to teach students how to make an appointment, time management in going to the appointment, talking to a doctor, and should an emergency occur while the student is on campus the Health Center is already familiar with them. This is not replacing their Personal Care physician at home. It is more of a learning opportunity to teach the student how to take an active role in their health care and to have a temporary physician on call if needed.

Other Services Available