Doctoral Students

The handbook has been prepared to assist you in planning the many steps to receiving the Ph.D. in Education. Although we have attempted to answer the most frequent questions asked by doctoral students, it is assumed that you will have many other questions as you proceed through your program. Please do not hesitate to refer such questions to your adviser or to the personnel in the Office of Graduate Student Services (418 White Hall).



Summer 2024 Oral Defense Schedule

Summer 2024 Ph.D. Candidate Brochures


It is the responsibility of each graduate student to make an appointment with the assigned faculty adviser and prepare a plan of study to be filed with the Office of Graduate Student Services, 418 White Hall, by the end of the fourth enrolled semester. The plan of study form is available in the program area. The completed form is a comprehensive plan for the student's program. If the plan of study must be revised after submitting to the Office of Graduate Student Services, the adviser must initial the change(s) on the plan of study or submit a memo to the Office of Graduate Student Services indicating the change(s).




If students decide to change degree/major, the appropriate form must be completed. Upon approval, a new plan of study must be filed. The form should be used when students desire to change from one Masters or Ed.S. program into another. Students can not use the Change of Degree/Major form to change to a higher degree. They must formally apply again to the higher degree. Students can use the Change of Degree/Major form to drop down to a lower degree (Ed.S. to Masters, Ph.D. to Ed.S. etc). You can also find the form in 418 White Hall.



Students who are nearing completion of their course work are required to complete the online graduation application, available through FLashLine, by published deadlines (see Graduation Applications, under the Resources tab, for graduation application deadlines). The online application is used for all degree and certificate programs. To access the online graduation application, log into FlashLine, then click on the Student/Resources/Graduation tabs.

Students who submit a graduation application after the posted deadline will need to complete the Late Graduation Application form, accessible on FlashLine, under Student/Resources/Graduation.



A maximum of 12 semester hours may be transferred from accredited institutions if the following conditions are met: (1) work was at the graduate level; (2) "B" or  Satisfactory was earned; (3) the work fits into the program; (4) credit will be less than six years old at the time the degree is conferred at Kent; (5) student was admitted as a graduate student at the time the course was taken; and (6) the student completes the "Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit" form. The completed form must be submitted to room 418 White Hall with an original transcript with grade posted. OGSS will secure all required signatures. Coursework used to fulfill requirements for a previous degree will not be transferred.

Transfer of Credit Form (Official transcripts MUST accompany this form)