What are the program admissions requirements and procedures?

Admissions requirements differ for the certificate, master’s, and doctoral programs. Check the ETEC admissions page for more information. All admissions are handled through the university’s graduate admissions office. See the application website for details.

I would like to talk with someone about the program. Whom do I contact?

If you are considering applying to the Educational Technology program, you should first examine this website. It probably has the information you need. If not, then the first person to contact is the program coordinator, Dr. Chia-Ling Kuo (ckuo@kent.edu, 330-672-0599).

What are the technology requirements for the programs and courses?

In the Educational Technology program, you will use a variety of technologies, especially computers, various software programs, and online resources. You need an up-to-date computer and a fast and reliable Internet connection, an updated Web browser, and basic productivity software such as word processing and others. Specific courses may have other requirements for hardware and software.

Are any of the courses web-based?

Yes, all master’s-level and certificate Educational Technology courses are offered online, through the World Wide Web and other Internet technologies. Most of the doctoral courses are also offered online, although there are a few courses and other experiences that require you to be on-campus.

I've never taken an online course. How does it work?

The experience of an online course varies according to the course and instructor. All Educational Technology courses are offered through Canvas, Kent State's course management system. While a few courses might include synchronous meetings using video, chat, or other technologies, most rely on asynchronous technologies, including readings, videos, discussion boards, and others.

I have been assigned an advisor. What does that mean?

Great! You have been accepted into the program and are ready to begin. Usually you will want to start your coursework when the next semester begins. You should contact your advisor to find out what course(s) to enroll in first. Once you have begun that, you should get together with your advisor to plan your complete program. This website includes descriptions of the requirements for the different programs as well as downloadable copies of the programs of study you will need to file.

Are there assistantships and teaching opportunities available?

There are a small number of assistantships available for Educational Technology graduate students. You can apply at the School of Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Studies in 404 White Hall to compete for one of a handful of assistantships working with individual faculty members. Or contact Sherry Ernsberger (sernsber@kent.edu) for more information. You can apply at Academic Computing or the Instructional Resource Center on the second floor of White Hall to work in the technology services group. There are also departments around the university that might make use of your skills.

How will my work be assessed?

Most Educational Technology courses use a variety of assignments and projects to assess students' knowledge and skills. Few of them have conventional tests such as midterms and finals. Check the links to specific courses on this website to see what the course syllabi and other materials say.

If I can't finish some coursework because of other commitments (or if I am late), can I take an Incomplete?

In general, you are expected to keep up with the work in the course as the semester progresses. Instructors follow the university rules for incomplete grades, which are given in cases where external circumstances prevent the completion of a course in the last few weeks of a semester while the student is up-to-date in the coursework.

How does the Practicum work?

All students at the master’s level are expected to complete a practicum related to their goals and interests. The possibilities for this are endless, but the purpose is to ensure that you have practical work experience. For example, if you are pursuing the Computer Technology licensure endorsement, then you will work in a school under the supervision of a person in the field. (Those who are already employed in a school setting may be able to use that setting for the practicum.) Those interested in online learning may be able to work on campus here with professionals designing and developing online courses. The Educational Technology faculty will work with you to find an appropriate setting and experience. In general you are expected to do 100 hours of work in the field for the practicum.

What is the Portfolio, and what should I include in my portfolio?

During your career as a student in KSU's Educational Technology program you will do many different projects in your various courses. You should keep them, because they will become the basis for your online portfolio, developed while you complete your practicum. We are currently working to ensure that you have a professional place to develop and store your portfolio and eventually make it accessible to potential employers.

Are there services available for students with disabilities?

In accordance with University policy, if you have a documented disability and require accommodations to obtain equal access in this course, please contact the instructor at the beginning of the semester or when given an assignment for which an accommodation is required. Students with disabilities must verify their eligibility through Student Accessibility Services (SAS) on the ground floor of the main University Library - 330-672-3391.

What facilities are available for students?

White Hall has a variety of facilities to support the use of technology in education and training, most of them available through the Instructional Resource Center and Academic Computing center on the second floor of White Hall. There are labs, software, equipment, study areas, and more. University-wide, you can find library services, a writing center, and much more. Online resources are also available for more distant students, including a Virtual Private Network that allows you to access library resources, online book collections, and other resources. Kent State makes available professional-level software for low prices to students (see the Information Technology page for details).