Is the undergraduate program selective in its admissions?
Yes. In order to manage enrollment and provide for a high quality program, the faculty will select up to 50 of the most qualified applicants for admission based on the criteria described on the Bachelor's Degree page.

How will I know if I should select Middle Childhood Education as opposed to Early Childhood Education or Adolescent to Young Adult Education?
Early Childhood Education teachers work with children in preschool through grade 5. They focus on teaching children who are typically developing, at-risk, gifted, and those who have mild/moderate educational needs. Adolescent to young adult teachers work with students from ages 12 through 21 (grades 7-12) and develop an expertise in one content area (Mathematics, Social Studies, Language Arts, Earth Science, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, etc.). Middle Childhood Education teachers work with early adolescents in grades 4-9 in two concentrations and reading.

To help students in making the decision about a licensure area, the freshman and sophomore course work provides opportunities to work in a variety of settings. In addition, many students create their own opportunities to work with children of different ages through volunteer work.

Aren't fourth graders too young to be taught by teachers who are also prepared to teach ninth graders?
The program emphasizes working specifically with early adolescents in grades 4-9. Knowledge about early adolescent development and the teaching strategies that will enhance student learning in these grades is the emphasis of the MCED program.

What are my chances of getting a job with a Middle Childhood License?
Schools that are looking for teachers with a strong knowledge base about early adolescence, strong content knowledge in two subject areas and reading, and who are able to work collaboratively on teams with other teachers will be eager to hire Middle Childhood teachers.

What if I want to receive an Elementary Teaching Certificate?
The State of Ohio has eliminated the Elementary Teaching Certificate, and now prospective teachers must select from Early Childhood Education, Middle Childhood Education, and Adolescent to Young Adult Education.

If I am currently certified in Elementary or Secondary Education, how can I get a Middle Childhood License?
Teachers certified in Elementary or Secondary Education may earn an Additional License in MCED. The Additional License course work includes one concentration (Reading/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies), reading, advanced methods, and technology. Students interested in Additional License in MCED should contact the coordinator to have their transcripts evaluated. We have a program that enables students to combine the Additional License with a Master's Degree in Middle Childhood Education.

What courses are offered for currently certified teachers to develop their knowledge and skill in working with early adolescents?

  • HDFS 64027: Early Adolescence
  • CI 6/77107: Curriculum and Organization in the Middle Grades (Summer)
  • CI 6/77108: Teaching and Learning in the Middle Grades (Summer)

These courses form the Middle Childhood Core of graduate programs in Middle Childhood Education. However, they by themselves do not constitute a license.

How will I know which concentrations to select?
The four concentrations are Mathematics, Science, Reading/Language Arts, and Social Studies. Select areas that are your academic strengths.

If I want to get a Master's Degree but do not want to get a license in Middle Childhood Education, what are my options?
You may earn a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Middle Childhood Education.