Additional Licensure Preparation (Graduate Non-Degree)
The Middle Childhood Education (4-9) Additional Licensure Preparation program is a graduate-level licensure only/non-degree pathway for currently licensed teachers to earn licensure in Middle Childhood Education (4-9).
Licensed teachers must show evidence of a valid (unexpired) 4-year Resident Educator or 5-Year Professional State of Ohio teaching license during the admission process. Candidates must first specialize in a minimum of one subject/content area before applying to the Middle Childhood Education (4-9) Additional Licensure Preparation program. An analysis of additional content-area coursework and foundational math coursework required at the post-undergraduate level will be completed before entering into the program, and a Plan of Study will be created based on transcript analysis and current licensure requirements by the Ohio Department of Education. A minimum C grade is required in each of these subject area courses. This coursework would be in addition to the graduate course requirements for the Middle Childhood Education (4-9) Additional Licensure Preparation (Non-Degree) program.
Prior to application: For a transcript analysis of content-area requirements and program eligibility, please email unofficial transcripts (KSU transcripts can be accessed internally with your written permission) to Erin Harwood, Graduate Senior Advisor/Licensure Specialist - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Middle Childhood Education (4-9) Additional Licensure Preparation (Non-Degree) program includes 25-28 graduate hours of Middle Childhood coursework and field experiences required for additional teacher licensure from the Ohio Department of Education. This does not include any required undergraduate content-area or foundational math coursework as determined by the initial transcript analysis.
The non-degree program is for additional licensure preparation only and not a master's degree program. Students interested in obtaining the Middle Childhood Education (4-9) additional teaching license and the Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction with a concentration in Middle Childhood Education from Kent State University must also be fully admitted into the Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction with a concentration in Middle Childhood Education program and complete the prescribed coursework for the master's degree, in addition to courses that are prescribed here for licensure. Up to 15 credit hours can be shared between both programs provided the candidate applies separately for both programs simultaneously. Admission documents can be shared between both graduate applications.
MCED Licensure Options:
(For those candidates interested in completing more than one content area for licensure in grades 4-9, you must submit separate applications for each desired content-area. Admission documents can be shared between applications.)
- Middle Childhood Education–Language Arts and Reading (4-9) Additional Licensure Preparation - Non-Degree
- Middle Childhood Education–Mathematics (4-9) Additional Licensure Preparation - Non-Degree
- Middle Childhood Education–Science (4-9) Additional Licensure Preparation - Non-Degree
- Middle Childhood Education–Social Studies (4-9) Additional Licensure Preparation - Non-Degree
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.000 overall undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- Questions in Anticipation of Licensure Form (embedded in online application)
- Evidence of valid (unexpired) 4-Year Resident Educator or 5-Year Professional State of Ohio teaching license
- Two letters of recommendation
- An interview will be conducted prior to full acceptance into the program.
Graduate Online Application
Hints on online application:
- Page 1 - Begin Application - "for which type of program are you applying", SELECT "License"
- Page 7 - Intended Program - click on "College of Education, Health and Human Services"
- Click on "Middle Childhood Education 4-9 (choose your licensure subject area) Additional Licensure Preparation" and term you plan to start coursework
- Page 8 - Additional Requirements - SELECT "second, additional..license", SELECT "YES" if you are also applying to the Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction (MCED concentration) simultaneously or "NO" if you are only seeking licensure; SELECT "NO" for pursuing additional licenses