Flash Connections are enhanced sections of the required First Year Experience course (UC10097) created especially for Exploratory students. Participate in an exclusive out-of-class experience where you will have the opportunity to meet new people and explore your interests.
Learn about EACH experience below
Flash Connections: The Great Outdoors
Travel to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, August 13 – 17
- Explore the outdoors.
- Meet classmates and make friends before college begins!
- Kayak, stand up paddleboard, hike and outdoor rock climb (no previous experience necessary).
- Participate in service projects with the park.
Flash Connections: Helping Professions
Travel throughout Cincinnati, Ohio, September 29 - October 1
- Establish a deeper understanding of a variety of social justice issues including: homelessness, hunger, human dignity and refugees.
- Gain insight into a variety of helping professions, including work in the non-profit industry and occupations that nurture a person’s physical, psychological, intellectual, emotional or spiritual well-being.
- Make a difference by embodying simplicity, service, and community while volunteering with Franciscans for the Poor.
- Make friends with other students outside of the classroom!
Flash Connections: celebrating African American Experiences
Travel to Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan and Detroit, Michigan,
October 6-7, 2017
- Explore African American history and culture.
- Visit places like the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia, the Motown Museum and more.
- Participate in a related service project.
- Make connections with your classmates, faculty, and upper-class students outside of the class.
Flash Connections: Campus & Community Engagement
Participate in an out-of-class project to connect with the campus and local community
- Establish a deeper understanding of the people, resource, issues and opportunities that exist within the Kent State University community.
- Get involved through a community-driven project.
- Bond with other students outside of the class!