Getting Started With Your Employment Process

Welcome to Kent State University!  Please follow the steps below:

Step 1:
  • Please sign and return the following forms to your assigned HR contact: Rachel Rundo via email or Angela Jackson via email or fax to 330-672-2240:
    • Unclassified Employment Agreement  (with the Offer Letter included)
  • Please review the Ohio Ethics Law and keep for your records.
Step 2:
  • Within 2-3 days of successful completion of the above, your Kent State University ID/login instructions & KSU email address will be emailed to you at the email address which you provided on your application.  FlashLine is Kent State University’s web portal for faculty, staff, and students.  You will need to log onto FlashLine to establish your account as well as register for New Hire Orientation.
Step 3:                                                        
  • Once you’ve successfully completed Step 2, please allow two business days before revisiting FlashLine’s New Hire Requirements section in order to complete required documents with your new hire information including personal contact information and residency information, directory listing preferences, emergency contact information, and tax withholding information.  You will need your social security number or a temporary identification number.  Please contact Human Resources to ensure all necessary paperwork has been completed.
  • The compliance for indicating your right to work in the United States, the I-9 Form, must be downloaded, completed and returned on or prior to your start date.  The form must be returned and kept on file in the Human Resources Office, Records and Operations, Kent Campus.  Regional campus new hires may return it to the supervisor who will forward it to the Records Office.  Depending on your position, an HR representative might require you to complete several other new hire documents, which also need to be returned to Human Resources on your first day.
  • Parking permits are required on the Kent campus.  You may obtain a university campus parking permit from Parking Services at 123 Schwartz Center.  If employed on a Regional Campus, contact your supervisor to determine if a parking permit is required.  To obtain your FLASHcard (KSU ID card), please visit the FLASHcard office located on the first floor of the Kent Student Center, next to PNC Bank.
  • Kent State University requires that as a condition of employment all new employees enroll for direct deposit. The method of enrolling for direct deposit is online through the university’s portal for Employee Self Service. After receipt of your Kent State University ID and login instructions from Human Resources, log onto Flashline at
For Benefits Eligible Employees

** Very Important: You must enroll in your insurance benefits within 31 days of your date of hire.  As a reminder, new hire orientation sessions are held bi-weekly (on a Monday).  Please be sure to sign up for a session that is closest to your start date (but not prior to your start date).   If you are not able to attend a session within 31 days of your hire date, you must make an appointment with Sheba Marshall (330) 672-8348 or Laura Kenney (330) 672-8313 to enroll in your benefits.  The Benefits Office is located in Heer Hall.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you fail to enroll in your Benefit plans within 31 days of your hire date, you will not be eligible to enroll until the next Open Enrollment period, which begins in October, to be effective January 1st of the following year.  If you have questions, please contact the Benefits Office at (330) 672-3107.

  • To preview your insurance options, visit the webpage  Click on “Benefits in Brief”.
  • You will not be contributing to the federal social security system while you are employed at KSU.  You will be asked to complete and sign a Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security form.
  • You will automatically be placed in the state retirement system; however, there are several choices for participation within this plan.  You will have a choice of an alternative retirement plan (ARP) which you may direct yourself.  If you choose to participate in the ARP, this choice is irrevocable. Your decision must be made within 120 days of start of employment.
  • If you have qualifying service at another organization, you must have a copy of that information forwarded to the HR Records unit (Prior Service Form).

Any questions?  Please contact Mary Jane Hannahs at 330-672-8331, Rachel Rundo at 330-672-8079 or Angela Jackson at 330-672-8323.