24th Annual Kent State Peace Basket Project Commences
Members of the Kent State University community invites faculty, staff and students to join them in creating Holiday Peace Baskets on Saturday, December 11, 2021, between 9 and 11:30 a.m. at the King Kennedy Center, 6660 Garfield Road in Ravenna. If you cannot make it at 9 a.m., please come when you can.
In 2019, this activity created more than 100 gift baskets for needy families in the area. COVID interrupted the program last year, but last summer a “Christmas in July” was held for the participants of the Jake’s Kids program.
Donations such as kitchen and personal grooming items, school supplies and small stocking stuffers for children will be assembled into decorated baskets, bags and boxes, and will be distributed to the residents serviced by the King Kennedy Center during the Christmas party.
The following Holiday Helpers are needed:
- As a Prep Elf: Volunteers are needed on Friday, December 10, from 12:30 - 3:30 p.m. at the King Kennedy Community Center to prepare for the basket assembly day.
- As an Elf: Join in a continental breakfast and help to assemble baskets and boxes of needed items on Saturday, December 11, at the King Kennedy Community Center. Breakfast and decorating materials will be provided.
- As an Absentee Angel: Donate funds for the purchase of gift bags and containers, ribbons and bows.
- As Santa’s Shopper: Donate items to fill the baskets, such as toiletries, personal grooming products, small stocking stuffers (socks, jewelry, nail polish, stuffed animals, small toys, books, or other children’s items), kitchen and school supplies. For men: cologne, socks, caps and hats, games for teenagers and other young men's items. Shoe boxes wrapped with holiday paper and other items can be taken to the drop-off points listed below.
- As a Holiday Knitter: Hand-knitted or crocheted scarves and caps for kids are accepted.
To make the December 11, activities go smoothly, all donated items should be donated dropped off at the following locations:
- Information Technology, Stewart Hall receptionist desk (Barb Boltz, 330-672-1306)
- Schwartz Center, Suite 208, Office 206G (Shelly Casto, 330-672-0733)
You may also contact Barb Boltz to arrange for a pickup at your location. For more information about the Peace Basket Project, contact Barb Boltz at 330-672-1306, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.