How Do I Declare a Major or Minor in Philosophy?

The Department of Philosophy at Kent State University offers an undergraduate program of study in philosophy as well as a graduate program leading to the degree of Master of Arts. An undergraduate can major in philosophy, minor in philosophy, or take philosophy courses to fulfill Kent Core requirements. The Philosophy Department is located in the College of Arts and Sciences, but a student in any college can minor (or double major) in philosophy.

To declare a philosophy major or minor, students should visit the College of Arts & Sciences office in 105 Bowman Hall to fill out the necessary paperwork. New philosophy majors should also schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Coordinator in the Department of Philosophy, who will discuss their particular interests and goals, answer their questions, and assign them a philosophy adviser.