Eleven Physics and Astronomy Questions for the New Century
The following questions are from the report, Connecting Quarks with the Cosmos: Eleven Science Questions for the New Century, released by the National Research Council in January 2001.
- What is the dark matter?
- What is the nature of dark energy?
- How did the universe begin?
- Did Einstein have the last word on gravity?
- What are the masses of the neutrinos, and how have they shaped the evolution of the universe?
- How do cosmic accelerators work and what are they accelerating?
- Are protons unstable?
- Are there new states of matter at exceedingly high density and temperature?
- Are there additional spacetime dimensions?
- How were the elements from iron to uranium made?
- Is a new theory of matter and light needed at the highest energies?