6th Annual Bra Recycling Drive; Kent Wired; October 26, 2018

By Shaquiena Davis

It's the month of October, which means that it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

And Kent State's Women's Center and The Office of Sustainability is hosting its 6th annual bra recycling drive.

“It is a good opportunity to raise awareness about the issue of breast cancer at the same time that you’re recycling and doing something that’s good for the earth.”

Speaking of good for the earth, this drive is also helping to reduce the abundant amount of textiles being wasted over landfills.

“I think it’s really important, it’ll make a big difference in everybody who will be on the giving and receiving side.”

And a big difference it would be to come out and support this cause.

“It was an opportunity for women to take this piece of clothing and recycle it, and also combine it with other awareness opportunities during the month of October.”

“The bra drive is collecting all bras anybody can bring in, and if they’re lightly used we’re able to donate them to the portage county clothing center.”

Donating for a cause is definitely a great opportunity to help those who can benefit from it.

Not only will you be helping those who need it, but you'll be helping to build a great market.

“In the previous years, we’ve collected about 750 bras. About 70 percent of those were actually wearable, so those went to the county clothing center. The other 30 percent were shipped to the bra recyclers to be made into another material.”

This drive has been impactful over five years and is continuing to grow.

So if you're looking to make a change, you can recycle your bras at any available campus locations.

TV2 Video

 

POSTED: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 8:00pm
UPDATED: Monday, March 4, 2019 - 1:52pm