Are Section 127 educational benefits reportable on the Form W-2?

No. The instructions for Form W-2 provide that payments qualifying under a Section 127 educational assistance program are not reportable in box 1 as wages. Only waivers or reimbursements (for non-job-related graduate courses) in excess of the $5,250 annual exclusion limit would be reported on the Form W-2 as taxable compensation, subject to withholding. Accordingly, such excess amounts should be paid through the payroll system.