History | Kent State University

History

Explore the history of the Kent State Marching Golden Flashes starting in 1919, when the band was established.

1919

KSU Marching Band established by Music Department Director, Ms. Ann Maud Shamel.

1920

First KSU Football team to play with equipment. The "field band" played in the stands at one football game.

1928

Marching Band re-organized by Ms. Shamel with the help of music students.

1929

Roy D. Metcalf took over directing the Marching Band. Herbert Kelly was the first Drum Major. Band has less than 20 members.

1934

Marching Band was issued new uniforms consisting of white pants, a cape and caps.

1939

The Marching Band was an all men's band due to a lack of "proper uniforms for women."

1940

The Twin Bands were introduced at Kent State University. An all women's band performed separately and in conjunction with an all men's band. Both groups were under the direction of Roy D. Metcalf.

1957

Roy D. Metcalf died on July 4, 1957. Edward L. Masters came to KSU from Kansas to serve as the Marching Band Director. Twin bands were disbanded, marching band performs its first 15-minute half-time show, the number of majorettes was reduced and more emphasis was placed on rehearsing music.

1959

New "unisex" band uniforms were debuted. Marching Band recorded "Kent's Golden Year" album to celebrate the 50th anniversary of KSU.

1974

The KSU Alumni Band was formed.

1978

Marching Band produced another album for the band program.

1979

University President Golding cuts the Marching Band.

1980

John Boyd, Director of Bands, served as the Marching Band Director. Thanks to fundraising and petitioning by the KSU students and alumni, the Marching Band was put back on the field. New uniforms were purchased and scholarships were issued to some band members

1981

After several changes in directors, Mr. Michael Lee comes to Kent State to serve as the first Director of Athletic Bands. Drum and Bugle corps style of marching is introduced to KSU.

1992

Due to several budget cuts within the School of Music, the band does not take the field. "Sitting band" plays at all home games.

1993

The KSU Marching Band takes the field in new uniforms

1996

Dr. Thomas Connors comes to KSU to serve as the Director of Athletic Bands. The band takes on a new identity as the Kent State University Marching Golden Flashes.

1997

Marching Band crest created by Dr. Connors and students. Scholarships are also issued to all members.

1999

The MGF celebrates its 80th Anniversary with the largest band in KSU history.

2000

Mr. Eric Aho joins the staff as the new Director of Athletic Bands.

2002

KSU Marching Golden Flashes debut new uniforms representing the history of the band while looking forward to a bright future.

2004

Mr. Scott Curfman accepts the position of Director of Athletic Bands. The Band expands on the corps style of marching to include some high-energy drill maneuvers and music.

2012

Mr. Frank Cosenza is appointed to the position of Interim Director of Athletic Bands.  The Marching Golden Flashes attend the 2012 MAC Championship Game.

2013

The Marching Golden Flashes attend the 2013 GoDaddy.com Bowl in Mobile, AL. Dr. John Franklin is appointed as Director of Athletic Bands. Dr. Jesse Leyva is appointed as Director of Bands. FlasherBrass expands to include piccolos, flutes, clarinets, and an electric bass.

2016

The Marching Golden Flashes unveil a new look and image with the first new uniforms in fourteen years.