M.F.A/M.A. in Studio Art
Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of America’s top graduate programs in the visual arts, the School of Art at Kent State University provides abundant opportunities for graduate students to advance their skills in all areas of studio art.
We offer the only M.F.A. program in northeast Ohio, and the only program in the state of Ohio to offer this breadth of studio specialties. Students are encouraged to work across disciplines and techniques in order to develop a body of work that reflects their independent investigations in their discipline. Studio practice is supplemented with art history seminars, visiting artist lectures, summer workshops, and travel study programs to New York City, culminating in a solo M.A. or M.F.A. thesis exhibition. All of the School of Art studios and classrooms are located under one roof in the Center for the Visual Arts, a 128,000 square-foot facility that had its grand opening in 2016.
All newly accepted M.F.A. students will receive a graduate assistantship, which includes a full tuition waiver and a stipend! Fully-funded M.F.A. program with tuition remission, yearly stipend, and a sizable contribution to offset the cost of a health care plan offered to all graduate assistants.
Kent State offers a wide variety of studio art concentrations. M.F.A. Studio Art students may select from the following:
- Print Media and Photography
- Sculpture and Expanded Media
Highlights of our program include:
- Dedicated studio space for M.F.A. graduate students
- Graduate Assistantships for M.F.A. students that offer tuition remission and a stipend
- Working with a range of graduate faculty
- Renowned visiting artist program
- Kent Blossom Art Intensives - two-week summer studio intensives with visiting artists
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities, equipment and tools
- Travel study opportunities every semester to New York City, plus other domestic and international trips offered
- Access to world-class museums and research libraries
- School-wide digital fabrication lab (ARTech Studio)
For more information or to schedule a visit, contact School of Art Graduate Coordinator, Shawn Powell at email@example.com or call 330-672-2192.
Fall Admission: Our fall 2024 application cycle is now closed. We will begin accepting M.A. and M.F.A. applications for fall 2025 beginning in the fall of 2024. Our application deadline for the School of Art is generally in early February, the date will be posted when it becomes available. Check back for application deadline and ensure that all application materials arrive by that date to qualify for admission consideration.