M.F.A/M.A in Studio Art
Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of America’s top graduate programs in the visual arts, the School of Art at Kent State University provides abundant opportunities for graduate students to advance their skills in all areas of studio art.
We offer the only M.F.A. program in northeast Ohio, and the only program in the state of Ohio to offer this breadth of studio specialties. Students are encouraged to work across disciplines and techniques in order to develop a body of work that reflects their independent investigations in their discipline. Studio practice is supplemented with art history seminars, visiting artist lectures, summer workshops, and travel study programs to New York City, culminating in a solo MA or MFA thesis exhibition. All of the School of Art studios and classrooms are located under one roof in the Center for the Visual Arts, a 128,000 square-foot facility that had its grand opening in 2016.
Kent State offers a wide variety of studio art concentrations. M.F.A. Studio Art students may select from the following:
- Print Media and Photography
- Sculpture and Expanded Media
Highlights of our program include:
- Dedicated studio space for graduate students
- Competitive Graduate Assistantships that offer tuition remission and a stipend
- Working with a range of graduate faculty
- Renowned visiting artist program
- Kent Blossom Art Intensives
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities, equipment and tools
- Travel study opportunities every semester
- Access to world-class museums and research libraries
- School-wide digital fabrication lab (ARTech Studio)
FALL ADMISSION: FEBRUARY 2
Applications completed after the deadline will not be reviewed. Due to the time constraints of the admissions process, all applications must meet the above deadline.
Visit the Graduate Admissions page for more information on how to apply.