Before you ask for a release from the ESL Center, please review the current release policy to make sure that you are eligible:
Release Policy for Undergraduate Students: There are several options for you to be released from ESL:
- If you score 71 (iBT) or 525 (ITP) on TOEFL, or 6.0 on IELTS.
- If you attend the intensive ESL program as a full-time student taking Reading, Writing, Listening, Grammar AND Speaking for one module and have a GPA of 3.75 or higher at Levels 8, 9, or 10.
- If you are in levels 8, 9, or 10 and attend KSU ESL Center as a full-time student for a minimum of two modules and have a cumulative GPA of 3.60 or higher with no D grades in levels 8-10. All D's in levels 8-10 must be retaken before a student can be fully released.
- TOEFL score: If you score 54-61 (iBT), you may be given permission to enroll in one non-ESL course. If you score 61-70 (iBT) you may be given permission to enroll in one or two non-ESL courses.
- IELTS Academic version score: If you score a 5.5 total plus a 5.0 minimum on the writing section you are eligible for a partial release and can enroll in one non-ESL course.
Release from ESL study does not guarantee your acceptance to a college or major. Students must meet the admission requirements of their individual college and/or department.
- The ESL Center Director reserves the right to conduct a final exit interview to confirm release eligibility. The final exit interview may consist of a written essay and/or multiple choice tests.