Before you ask for a release from the ESL Center, please review the current release policy to make sure that you are eligible:
Release Policy for Undergraduate Students: There are several options for you to be released from ESL:
- If you score 71 (iBT) or 525 (ITP) on TOEFL, or 6.0 on IELTS.
- If you attend the intensive ESL program as a full-time student taking Reading, Writing, Listening, Grammar AND Speaking for one module and have a GPA of 3.75 or higher at Levels 8, 9, or 10.
- If you are in levels 8, 9, or 10 and attend KSU ESL Center as a full-time student for a minimum of two modules and have a cumulative GPA of 3.60 or higher with no D grades in levels 8-10. All D's in levels 8-10 must be retaken before a student can be fully released.
NOTE: All Kent State University ESL Center students must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA to be released based on a TOEFL or IELTS score. If an ESL Center student has an adequate TOEFL/IELTS score to be released but a cumulative GPA below 2.0, the student must retake any levels 8-10 classes where the student got a D or F until the student's cumulative GPA is above 2.0.
- TOEFL score: If you score 480-500 (paper-based) or a 54-61 (iBT), you may be given permission to enroll in one non-ESL course. If you score 500-524 (paper-based) or 61-70 (iBT) you may be given permission to enroll in one or two non-ESL courses.
- IELTS Academic version score: If you score a 5.5 total plus a 5.0 minimum on the writing section you are eligible for a partial release and can enroll in one (not two) non-ESL course.
Release from ESL study does not guarantee your acceptance to a college or major. Students must meet the admission requirements of their individual college and/or department.
Admission Policy for Graduate Students
Release from ESL at the graduate level can only be achieved through acceptable test scores (TOEFL, IELTS) as determined by the department you will study (for example: Business, Aeronautics, Nursing, etc.).
- The ESL Center Director reserves the right to conduct a final exit interview to confirm release eligibility. The final exit interview may consist of a written essay and/or multiple choice tests.
- Under absolutely NO CONDITION can a student be granted release only based on the end of a government scholarship.
To ask for release from the ESL Center, send an email to the ESL Center