Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When are tuition and fees submitted to the VA for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33)?

A. Tuition and fees at all of Kent State University’s campuses are submitted after the second day of each term. Credit hours are submitted as soon as the student submits them to the Veteran Certifying Official in order to ensure that book and housing stipends are not delayed. However, we wait until the second day of each term to submit tuition and fees to help prevent debt situations for students due to VA collections policies should a student drop or reduce on or prior to the first day of the term. Please allow two to four weeks from the time of submission for the VA to issue payment to the school.

Q. How are Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits transferred to spouses/children?

A. The VA has posted a fact sheet at their website that details the benefits that can be transferred and the transfer process.

View the transfer fact sheet

Q. I am the first to go to college and I don’t have a lot of family support. Is there someone I can talk to that will understand my situation as an adult student?

A. Yes. Schedule an appointment to see one of our advisors. We can help you establish a support system and assist you in your transition to college. Additionally, we may be able to refer you to other resources on and off campus that can help you be successful in college.

Q. Will I “fit in” here at Kent State University as an adult student. Won’t I feel “too old?”

A. You will be happy to know that over 6500 adult students throughout the Kent State system are undergraduate students. Adult students take classes during the day, evening, and weekends. They have multiple roles and responsibilities and still find time for college success!

Q. I am interested in a specific career field or job title. How do I find out if I am in the right major?

A. Use the resources in Career Exploration and Development to research your career field. You may wish to visit their website or their office in person. You may also find it useful to discuss your plans with your academic advisor, a career services advisor, a favorite professor, or a fellow student.

Q. I need to find a job while I am a student. Where should I start looking?

A. On this website you can link to national databases for available jobs. On the Career Exploration and Development website you can link to campus jobs for students. On the Kent State University homepage you can link to jobs available on campus. Additionally, many students find local newspapers and the Kent Stater to be helpful.

Q. How many classes should I take?

A. In general, with a full-time job, adult students take no more than two courses or six hours of credit. This will ensure that you will have enough time to take care of your academics as well as your personal and professional responsibilities.

Q. How can I get some help with my study skills?

A. Free tutoring is available at the Academic Success Center on campus. Students can also take advantage of workshop courses aimed at improving study skills, which are offered by Continuing Studies.

Q. What is a major?

A. A major is a collection of credit hours in a specific field such as business administration or interior design.

Q. To what does the term “credit hour” refer?

A. A credit hour refers to how many hours per week a student spends in class. For example, a typical course is three credit hours. Therefore, a student would spend three hours in class per week. Some schools calculate credit hours by semester and some by the quarter. KSU is on the semester system and can accept semester or quarter-credit hours.

Q. When can I file my FAFSA on the web?

A. You can file the FAFSA any time. Go to to apply.

Q. How do I get started?

A. First, make an appointment with the adult student counselor. The counselor can offer you information on Kent State University as well as information specific to adult students and can answer your questions. Then, if you like what you hear, it is time to apply. Fill out an application (which can be found online through the main Kent State web page), have your transcripts sent to the school, and pay the $50 non-refundable application fee.