Senior Guest Program – Policies & Guidelines
- Admission to courses is by faculty approval only. The Office of Continuing and Distance Education (OCDE) will contact the faculty member and notify you about whether your course request has been approved or denied. In all cases, the faculty member’s decision is final. Please do not:
- E-mail, call, visit or otherwise contact a faculty member, school director, department chair, etc. to request admission to a course.
- Attend a course if you have not been approved to do so.
- OCDE will submit course requests as soon as possible. However, we cannot guarantee admission by the start of classes. A variety of unavoidable factors may result in Senior Guests beginning a course as late as a week after the official start date.
- Please make a note of your Blackboard Learn username and personal password—that is the password you create to gain access to Blackboard Learn. It will be important to have this information now and if you decide to take classes in the future. You may wish to record the information below and hang onto this information sheet.
- Remember that courses are first and foremost intended to serve the needs of the students who are enrolled for credit. Therefore, we ask that Senior Guests not engage in behaviors that are troublesome or inappropriate. This includes dominating class discussions, failing to comply with a faculty member’s request, or being otherwise disruptive. Senior Guests who engage in such behaviors may be asked to leave the class and/or be barred from enrolling in future classes.
- Senior Guest students are encouraged to do the assignments and to participate fully in class discussion and activities, but always at the discretion of the instructor. Taking exams is optional.
- Workshops are excluded.
- College credit is not awarded.
- Senior Guests are responsible for the payment of special course fees covering materials and supplies as well as the$12 per credit hour distance learning fee assessed for all online courses. Senior Guests are also responsible for the purchase of books.
- Senior Guests are responsible for purchasing their parking permits through Parking Services. Parking in any lots requires a parking permit. Contact Parking Services at 330-672-4432 for parking fees. Parking Services is located in the Schwartz Center, room 123 first floor, 800 E Summit. Office hours are 7:30 am – 5:00 pm Mon-Fri. If you have a Golden Buckeye card, you may park free for two hours in the Student Center parking lot ONLY.
- Senior Guests may ride the Campus Bus free of charge on the campus. There is a nominal charge for use of the off campus buses.
- Kent State’s Advisory Web page at www.kent.edu/advisory. This page lists any closings across the university’s eight campus system. A red bar will appear on the top of the www.kent.edu home page if there is a cancellation or closing. The information is also posted to the university's Facebook page and Twitter.
Questions? Contact the Office of Continuing and Distance Education by phone at 330-672-2002 or 330-672-3100 or email at continuinged [at] kent.edu.