M.Ed. in Early Childhood: Globalization & Intercultural Competence Concentration
Are you working with international students and in search of research based solutions to learning and teaching? Build your intercultural competence to meet the demands of your district's growing or changing immigrant and refugee populations.
For those teaching in the early years or a related field and licensed PreK-3.
- ECED International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme Certificate in Teaching and Learning (embedded in the program)
- Individualized Plan of Study
Course topics in GIC Concentration:
- Principles of Development and Cross-Cultural Development
- Understanding Emergent Bilingual Children and their Families
- Intercultural Dimensions of Teaching and Learning
- Teaching Emergent Bilingual Children in the Early Years
- Integrated Curriculum
- Multi-Cultural Education in Global and Local Contexts
- Choices of Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language, Second Language Acquisition, or Heritage Languages and Second Language Acquisition
- Research in Education
Endorsement options available - additional coursework may be required:
The K-12 Reading Endorsement is a 14-hour graduate experience that allows you to teach reading to K-12 students.
The Early Childhood Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement Preparation program is a 14-credit hour program for teachers holding an Ohio Early Childhood P-3 Teaching License.
The Pre-Kindergarten Endorsement is for "teaching learners ages three through five" and is limited to those holding a kindergarten-primary, elementary, family and consumer sciences, or special certificate for education of the handicapped.
If you hold an active license in Special Education, Elementary Education, or Middle Childhood Education, you may pursue a second license in Early Childhood Education.