Badar-Kauffman 2023 will take place at the Kent State Hotel and Conference Center March 22-24, 2023
The goal of the Badar-Kauffman Conference is to provide a highly interactive learning experience that is useful to both presenters and audience members alike. All participants in the Badar-Kauffman Conference have the shared goal of advancing the rigor and utility of scientific research, logical thinking, and conceptual analysis in special education. Attendees are expected to engage with presenters in critical discussion on conceptual, methodological and practical issues in current research and analysis in special education. This conference is designed for students, faculty and professionals who are interested in learning from internationally renowned luminaries in special education and related fields.
Presenters are encouraged to submit work that is in-process as the major aim of Badar-Kauffman Conference is to improve research and special education through formative peer feedback and support.
Keynote Speaker, Dr. LaRon Scott
Associate Professor of Education and Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at The University of Virginia
BKC 2023 will feature a keynote presentation by Dr. LaRon Scott. He will discuss the latest research on the recruitment and retention of a diverse special education teacher workforce. Dr. Scott is an Associate Professor of Education and Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at The University of Virginia. Dr. Scott studies recruitment, preparation, and retention of historically marginalized teacher educators, notably special education teachers, and postsecondary transition programming and outcomes for Black youth with IDD. He also focuses on the critical implications of implicit bias in shaping the conditions for historically marginalized educators, and how historical and contemporary local, state, and federal policy shapes the treatment of minoritized special educators.
LEARN MORE ABOUT DR. LARON SCOTT
2023 Calls for Proposals and Presentations
The Badar-Kauffman Conference Committee invites proposals that represent research and conceptual analyses that are challenging, innovative and/or controversial. There are two types of program offerings: oral and poster sessions.
- Oral presentations: Limited to those who hold academic rank at a university or other research institution (e.g., AIR, IES, MetaMetrics). Submissions for oral presentations may be made by individuals presenting a single study or a group of presentations around a single theme. The conference committee may group individual submissions accepted for presentation with other similar presentations around a central theme.
- Poster presentations: Highly interactive presentations of work from experienced (faculty) and emerging scholars (doctoral students). Poster submissions should clearly describe theoretical foundation, research questions, method, results (if available), analytic strategy and interpretation of results.
Registration is open for Badar-Kauffman 2023. The prices for registration are as follows:
- Student Early Bird (now – Dec. 31) $150
- Student Regular rate (Jan. 1 – Feb. 28) $200
- Student Late registration (March 1 – March 19) $250
- Faculty Early Bird (now – Dec. 31) $250
- Faculty Regular rate (Jan. 1 – Feb. 28) $325
- Faculty Late registration (March 1 – March 19) $400
- Registration will close as of Midnight on March 20.
The deadline for 2023 proposals and presentations is October 14, 2022. View the full agenda for the Badar-Kauffman Conference.
Have questions or concerns?
Contact Dr. Nathan Stevenson at email@example.com or 330-672-0607.