The Special Education program is dedicated to preparing tomorrow’s teachers of exceptional learners and future leaders in the field. We offer both undergraduate and graduate programs, including advanced degrees such as the Educational Specialist and Doctor of Philosophy. The program is fully accredited by the National Council of Accreditation of Teacher Education and has a national and state-wide reputation for excellence in professional preparation, research, and service to children and families.
Top 10 Reasons to Choose Special Education at Kent State University
- Kent State Graduates are highly sought after and find jobs
- Many career options from which to choose.
- Employment prospects in special education are excellent
- Extensive opportunities to practice skills in schools and other real world settings.
- Expert, caring faculty who are committed to student success
- Programs of study that are organized, efficient, and highly structured
- Accessibility! SPED coursework is available in all semesters, including summer, and in varied formats (online, face-to-face, hybrid)
- Convenience and cost
- Beautiful campus right next to Kent City's growing downtown area
- Large, active student chapter of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) provides friendship, fun, professional development, and enriching, invigorating community service opportunities