Financing a college education is a concern for many families. Most financial aid packages will include student loans; however, federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans may not cover the total cost of college expenses. Consequently, families are faced with the challenge of meeting the cost of their expenses.
Alternative loans are private loans that provide students with additional funding for unmet college expenses. Select private education loan lenders now offer parent private loans. These loans are borrowed by the parent, not the student.
Students are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to exhaust all eligibility for federal funds before applying for alternative loans.
Alternative loans are not federally guaranteed and require a good credit rating and/or credit worthy co-signer. The annual amount cannot exceed the cost of attendance minus other financial aid for the loan period requested.
Kent State University does not endorse any lender or lending institution. We will process a private education loan from ANY lending institution. To assist you in your search, we do recommend using FASTChoice. FASTChoice is a private loan selection tool that helps students and parents make a wise choice regarding borrowing an alternative loan. FASTChoice allows you to compare up to 5 lender rates, terms, and benefits at a time.
Kent State University selected the FASTChoice lender options for the following reasons:
- History of providing excellent customer service to Kent State students
- Competitive interest rates
- Offer multiple loan products and incentive programs
- Parent private loans available
- Extended repayment terms are available
- In-school deferment options
- Six month grace period before repayment
- Fast and easy online application
- Funds are sent via Electronic Funds Transfer
*Not all lenders offer all features
If the funds cause a credit on the student's account, a refund will be issued.
Loan Periods for the Academic Year
|Semester||BEGIN AND END MONTHS|
|Summer Semester||May - August|
|Summer/Fall/Spring*||May - May|
|Fall Semester||August - December|
|Spring Semester||January - May|
|Fall and Spring Semesters||August - May|
*If you apply for a summer/fall/spring loan, the loan will be awarded equally between each semester, given that the loan requested fits in each semesters cost of attendance. If summer semester cost of attendance, based on enrollment, is less than fall/spring cost of attendance, the loan will be awarded the maximum cost of attendance for the summer and the remaining loan request will be split evenly between fall and spring.
Any questions on how an alternative loan is awarded or if you have submitted an alternative loan with an incorrect loan period, please contact the One Stop for Student Services using the Contact Us button or at 330-672-6000.
PROCESSING and disbursement
- Please allow 6-7 weeks for processing, certification, and funds to be received.
- Funds will disburse no earlier than 10 days prior to the start of each semester.
CANCELING OR REDUCING YOUR ALTERNATIVE LOAN
- The eligibility for a loan to be canceled or reduced depends on the timing of the request in conjunction with the stage of the private loan. We cannot guarantee that a loan can be canceled or reduced upon request.
- Please contact our office if you would like to reduce or cancel your loan before the loan is awarded.
- Once a loan is reduced or canceled, Kent State University cannot increase or reinstate the loan. You MUST apply for a new loan.
- Individual disbursement dates will be set by each lender in conjunction with Kent State University's disbursement schedule and the completion of all necessary requirements of the borrower.
- Alternative loan amounts may be reduced by Kent State University to comply with federal regulations. Remember, you cannot exceed your requested loan periods cost of attendance. All financial aid being received to a students account will be taken into consideration.
Some alternative loan lenders require students to be in compliance with the standards of academic progress. This means that you must meet the academic progress requirements as outlined by the Student Financial Aid Office at Kent State University. Carefully read your lender's eligibility requirements before you apply. See more information on academic progress.