Education Abroad & Financial Aid


Financial aid advising appointments for study abroad can be scheduled through KSU advising and will be held remotely until further notice. For all other advising, please visit the One Stop for Student Services on the main floor of the University Library. 

Steps To Receive Financial Aid for EDUCATION abroad PROGRAMS

  1. Begin researching your options for education abroad programs at least one year in advance. The Office of Global Education (OGE), has an up-to-date listing of education abroad programs that are offered by Kent State, as well as programs sponsored by other universities and third party providers. Costs for certain programs can also be found on this site. If you schedule an appointment, we suggest that you bring a copy of the estimated program costs from the Office of Global Education (OGE).

    Check the OGE Walk-In Hours

  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year in which you will be participating in an education abroad program. The FAFSA Form can be filed electronically on


  3. If you will be participating in an Education Abroad program during the summer, please submit the FAFSA and complete questions to indicate your enrollment plans on your FlashLine account in order to have your financial aid awarded to you. If you have questions or need to update your enrollment plan answers, please refer to the Summer Financial Aid Information page. If you have already been awarded summer financial aid, and wish to request additional subsidized/unsubsidized Direct loan from the fall/spring semesters for the summer semester, please contact  Financial aid used in the summer will come from the fall and spring semesters, unless additional loans such as Parent PLUS/private loans are applied and awarded.

  4. If you will be participating in the NYC Studio program, view the NYC Studio Checklist (PDF).

  5. If you decide to participate in an education abroad program that requires you to enroll directly in classes at another college/university (such as the University of Webster in Geneva), you must complete the Transfer Course Planning Form (TCP). The TCP allows the Student Financial Aid Office to update your financial aid after ensuring that you will enroll in eligible classes while abroad. Once you arrive, you will also be required to submit a Start of Semester Learning Agreement, and an End of Semester Learning Agreement.

    Go to the Forms and Applications page

  6. If you have a scholarship awarded to you by an academic department (i.e. Art Scholarship, Accounting Scholarship, or Honors College) contact the appropriate department to find out if you can use this scholarship while participating in an education abroad program. In most cases, you may use your scholarships if you are participating in a Kent State, Ohio International Consortium Program, or one of the many Kent State exchange programs.

  7. It is important to apply for scholarships early. Review the Scholarship Search Qualifier, as well as OGE, and your College for eligible study abroad scholarships.

    Education Abroad Scholarships
    Scholarship Search Qualifier

  8. Review all of the information provided. If you have any questions or want to discuss your individual account, please contact one of our Education Abroad Counselors at to discuss your options.

View our Education Abroad Frequently Asked Questions