Federal Perkins Loan
This loan program is no longer available after the 2017-2018 academic year.
The Federal Perkins Loan program expired on September 30, 2017. The information below is provided for students who borrowed Perkins Loans prior to the program's expiration.
The interest rate is 5% with the interest paid by the federal government while the student is in school at least half time and during a 9-month grace period after graduation or less than half time enrollment. There are no origination fees for the Perkins Loan.
- The standard repayment is 10 years.
- Perkins Loan is subject to partial forgiveness/cancellation for some types of teaching/public service.
- For Perkins deferment and repayment questions, contact the Bursar's Office Collections Department at 330-672-2626, Option 2.
- When you near graduation (or drop below half time) you will be given information on loan repayment. This is referred to as exit counseling.
- Federal Perkins Loan information, including discharge and cancellation options
- Perkins deferment and forbearance forms
- View your federal loan history on StudentAid.gov.