Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study Awards and Eligibility

TypeAmountWho is EligibleHow to Apply
Federal Work Study (FWS)Average for new first-year students $2,500,
Continuing students $3,000
Based on FAFSA resultsSearch for student job with Career Exploration and Development
Graduate AssistantshipsVariesBased on FAFSA resultsContact college department

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a type of self-help aid that must be earned. The FWS award will not be deducted from the student's bill. A student will receive a bi-weekly paycheck based on hours worked.

A student not awarded FWS may search for a university funded student job. To search and apply for a university funded or FWS student job, go to the Career Exploration and Development website.

A student MUST be enrolled at least half-time during fall and/or spring semesters to use FWS.  Undergraduates considered half-time are enrolled 6 or more credit hours.  Graduates considered half-time are enrolled 4 or more credit hours.

A student that has been awarded FWS may view this in the Financial Aid section of their FlashLine account.  After logging into FlashLine:

  1. Choose the Student tab on the left column
  2. Under Finances, click on Scholarships and Financial Aid
  3. Select "Financial Aid Awards"
  4. Choose the appropriate Award Year from the drop-down and click Submit
  5. Click on the Award Overview tab

If you do not see a FWS award listed on FlashLine, that means that you have not been awarded FWS. 

2023-2024 Update:

Federal work study funding is limited each year.  New requests for Federal Work Study awards will not be accepted for any Kent State University campus for the rest of spring 2024. You may search for and apply for a university funded student job through the Student Employment Office in Career Exploration and Development.

2024-2025 Update:

Kent campus students: In early May 2024, the 2024-2025 Fall/Spring Federal Work Study Request Form will be available to request federal work study for fall 2024 and spring 2025. This form will be for both current students and new Kent campus freshmen starting in fall 2024.

Regional campus students: In early May 2024, regional campus students may begin to contact the financial aid office at their respective Kent State regional campus regarding a federal work study award for fall 2024 and spring 2025.


If a Kent Campus student with a FWS award does not find an on-campus student job within the first six weeks after Fall semester classes begin, the FWS award for that school year may be canceled.