Financial Aid Information Related to COVID-19

Federal Aid Updates


ACT/SAT Requirements: Are they changing?
FAFSA Deadlines: How has the pandemic affected them?

I have not submitted my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2020-2021 academic year.  Can I still do so?

Yes. Students are encouraged to complete the 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible!  Be sure to list Kent State University as a recipient of your FAFSA results.

Complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA if you are attending Summer 2021, Fall 2021 and/or Spring 2022 now!

Federal and State Aid: Questions and answers

my family’s income has changed.  Can I appeal to receive additional financial aid for the 2021-2022 academic year?

Kent State University understands that your family may have experienced changes to your financial circumstances related to the Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic. If your family’s financial circumstances have changed as a result of Coronavirus/COVID-19 (e.g. loss of income, death of parent or spouse), you have the option to complete the Special Circumstance Application. Through the special circumstance process, we can review the information previously submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if it is no longer an accurate representation of your family’s current financial situation.

Access the Special Circumstance Application

Will taking online or remote courses affect my federal financial aid (VA benefits, PELL Grant, Federal Direct Loans)?

The U.S. Department of Education has indicated that, as long as students are enrolled and working toward their degrees, federal Pell Grants, SEOG grants and Federal Direct Loans should not be impacted by this disruption. According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, students receiving GI Bill benefits have been advised that payments will continue for students who continue to be enrolled this term.

Will taking online or remote courses affect my Ohio College Opportunity Grant (OCOG)?   

No. However, students need to be enrolled at least 51% in Kent Campus-designated courses to receive OCOG.


Financial Aid Office Access During the Pandemic: Questions and answers

What if I have a general question about my financial aid?

The One Stop for Student Services is available to answer your questions regarding billing and payment, financial aid, and scholarships or registration and student records (transcripts).  You can contact the One Stop for Student Services staff by phone at 330-672-6000 or electronically using the Contact Us formRemote appointments are also available with One Stop staff.  You can also contact your Regional Campus Financial Aid Office.  For contact information for Regional Campus Financial Aid Office staff, visit

I have documents I must submit to the Student Financial Aid Office.  How do I submit these documents?

In order to expedite the processing of your documents, you may submit documents to the One Stop for Student Services via the Contact Us form or fax (330) 672-6001. A drop box is available for document drop off on the first floor of the Kent Campus library. You can also mail your documents to:

One Stop for Student Services
PO BOX 5190
Kent, Ohio 44242-0001

How to Scan a Document with your Phone (PDF)

Loan Repayment - Federal and Private: Questions and answers

How will Coronavirus/COVID-19 affect my federal direct loan repayment?

All Federal Direct Student Loan payments are suspended until Sept. 30, 2021.

You should also contact your federal direct loan servicer(s) directly to find out about additional information.

For more information about other types of loans, the effect on Public Service Loan Forgiveness and other the guidance from the U.S. Department of Education for borrowers visit Coronavirus and Forbearance Info for Students, Borrowers, and Parents.

I borrowed from a private lender, how will Coronavirus/COVID-19 affect repayment?

If you have borrowed private loans, you should contact the specific private lender to find out about your options. Visit for more information.


You have a 6-month grace period from the date you withdraw or drop to less than half-time enrollment before repayment begins.

i was impacted by coronavirus/covid-19.  do I still need to complete exit counseling?

Yes, you should complete Exit Counseling to let your servicer aware of your status and apply any Coronavirus/COVID-19 relief available.  If you do not know who your loan servicer is, you can find more information on, along with loan servicer contact information.

Room and Board Scholarships and Work Study Awards: Questions and answers

Can I still use my room and board scholarships if I’m not living on campus?      

Room scholarships can only be used to pay room charges incurred from living in University-owned housing. Board scholarships can only be used to pay charges incurred from selecting a University board (dining) plan. For more information regarding your scholarships, please visit our Scholarship FAQs.

I am a Federal Work Study student employee.  How will my Federal Work Study award and employment be impacted?

For up-to-date information on student employment, including Federal Work Study Employment, please visit the KSU Coronavirus website under “Student FAQs”.

Scholarships: Questions and answers
SNAP benefits for college students

Kent State University Updates

  • For up-to-date information on Kent State University's response to the Coronavirus/COVID-19, visit
  • For valuable information on both on-campus and off-campus emergency resources, please visit the Dean of Students' website where you will find helpful assets for food and other community support as well as a link for Emergency Funding.

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Student Reporting and Disclosures

CARES Act Reporting and Disclosures

CRRSA Act (CRRSAA) Reporting and Disclosures

American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARP) Reporting and Disclosures

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Institutional Reporting and Disclosures

Institutional Reports

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Quarterly Report 2022

June 30, 2022 Quarterly Report

July- September 2022 Quarterly Report