Graduate Student Financial Aid Checklist
ADVANCE AT KENT STATE UNIVERSITY
- Begin a comprehensive scholarship search using these tools:
- Check with Graduate Studies and your College to find major specific scholarship opportunities.
- Explore Graduate Assistantship opportunities.
- Check your Kent State email address regularly for important information from the One Stop for Student Services.
- Review the Student Financial Aid website to gain basic knowledge of financial aid.
- Make sure you are meeting the Standards of Academic Progress to receive federal financial aid.
- View current direct costs to attend Kent State University, which include:
- Consider attending a financial aid workshop with the One Stop for Student Services.
- Learn more about budgeting and staying on track with your finances.
- If this is your first time completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), create a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID). If the student is dependent, at least one parent must also apply. The FSA ID will serve as an electronic signature on the FAFSA.
- If you have completed a FAFSA in the past, you do not need to create a new FSA ID. Visit the FSA ID website to confirm your FSA ID and password.
APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal and state financial aid programs. Students are encouraged to file as soon as possible beginning Oct. 1, for early FAFSA processing and awarding. To ensure maximum eligibility, complete the FAFSA no later than Feb. 1.
- View a collection of helpful videos on the FAFSA and financial aid.
- View any outstanding financial aid requirements on FlashLine.
- If requested, complete the verification process prior to receiving federal financial aid.
- If your information submitted on the FAFSA is no longer an accurate representation of your family's current financial situation, consider completing a special circumstance application.
- Complete enrollment plans on the Resources/Additional Information tab in FlashLine to receive your financial aid award.
- If you plan to enroll at Kent State Univeristy for the summer semester and would like to use your financial aid, view how it may be adjusted for the academic year.
VIEW YOUR FINANCIAL AID AWARDS
- Begin viewing your financial aid awards beginning mid-March in FlashLine.
- Review Terms and Conditions of receiving financial aid on FlashLine.
TAKE ACTION ON YOUR FINANCIAL AID AWARDS
- Accept any awarded institutional scholarships in offered status from Kent State University on FlashLine.
- Report outside scholarships, awards and other tuition assistance you are bringing to Kent State University on the Resources/Additional Information tab in FlashLine. Click the link for instructions.
- Loans are funds that must be repaid; only borrow what you need after careful consideration. If borrowing federal student loans:
- View information about direct loan interest rates and repayment of federal loans.
- Students must accept, decline or reduce federal loans via FlashLine.
- First-time borrowers: Sign the Master Promissory Note and complete Entrance Loan Counseling
- Returning students can monitor federal loan borrowing, view loan history and find servicer information on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
- The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is available to students who may need to borrow additional funds.
- If borrowing a private/alternative student loan, compare lender options and apply through FastChoice, or through an education lender of your choice.
REVIEW YOUR FINAL STEPS
- Notification of your invoice will be sent to you by email in July for fall semester and in December for spring semester. If you are attending summer, invoices will be sent to you by email in April. The invoice will list your actual expenses as of that day.
- Visit the One Stop website for detailed billing, payment and due date information.
- Review information about authorization of Title IV aid under the Financial Aid section of FlashLine.
- Information on student refunds.