Loans are a form of self-help aid and must be repaid.
Attention New Students
In order for your Federal student aid (Title IV aid which includes Parent PLUS loans) to pay for non-institutional charges, an authorization must be provided by you. Authorization is needed to allow Title IV aid to pay for prior-year non-institutional charges. This authorization is part of your online registration process via FlashLine. If you wish to rescind your authorization, you can complete the Rescind Authorization of TIV form and return to the One Stop for Student Services.
- Login to your FlashLine Account at www.kent.edu
- Click on the Student tab in the left column
- Under Finances, choose Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Click Title IV Federal Aid Authorization
Federal Direct Loans
Kent State students who complete the FAFSA will be considered for Federal Direct Loans based on grade level at the time financial aid awards are made.
- The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is awarded to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need.
- The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is awarded to eligible students who do not demonstrate financial need.
- Interest will accrue on unsubsidized loans while you are in-school.
- Any accrued interest will be capitalized when your loan enters repayment.
- Borrowers must be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours for undergraduate students and 4 credit hours for graduate students) and meet all other compliance requirements for the loan funds to be credited to the student account.
- If the funds cause a credit balance on the student account, the Bursar's Office will issue a refund.
In order for the loan funds to apply to your student account, you must login to your FlashLine account and take action on your offered loans.
- Click on the Student tab in the left column.
- Under Finances, choose Scholarships & Financial Aid.
- Click Financial Aid Awards.
- Under Award Year, choose the appropriate Award Year from the drop-down menu and click Submit.
- Under the Accept Award Offer tab, you have the option to reduce, decline, or accept your Direct Loan award.
In addition to meeting federal eligibility, there are 2 requirements that must be completed before your federal direct loan(s) to disburse to your student account: