Loans are a form of self help-aid and must be repaid.

Attention New Students

In order for your Federal student aid (Title IV aid which includes Parent PLUS loans) to pay for non-institutional charges, an authorization must be provided by you.  Authorization is needed to allow Title IV aid to pay for prior-year non-institutional charges. This authorization is part of your online registration process via FlashLine. If you wish to rescind your authorization, you can complete the Rescind Authorization of TIV form and return to the One Stop for Student Services.

Provide authorization via FlashLine 

  • Login to your FlashLine Account at
  • Click on the Student tab in the left column
  • Under Finances, choose Financial Aid  
  • Click Title IV Federal Aid Authorization      

Federal Direct Loans

Kent State students who complete the FAFSA will be considered for Federal Direct Loans based on grade level at the time financial aid awards are made.

  • The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is awarded to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need.
  • The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is awarded to eligible students who do not demonstrate financial need.
    • Interest will accrue on unsubsidized loans while you are in-school.
    • Any accrued interest will be capitalized when your loan enters repayment.
  • Borrowers must be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours for undergraduate students and 4 credit hours for graduate students) and meet all other compliance requirements for the loan funds to be credited to the student account.
    • If the funds cause a credit balance on the student account, the Bursar's Office will issue a refund.

In order for the loan funds to apply to your student account, you must login to your FlashLine account and take action on your offered loans.

  • Click on the Student tab in the left column.
  • Under Finances, choose Financial Aid.  
  • Click Financial Aid Awards.        
  • Under Aid for Award Year, choose the appropriate Award Year from the drop-down menu and click Submit. 
  • Under the Accept Award Offer tab, you have the option to reduce, decline, or accept your Direct Loan award.

Access the Guide to FlashLine

In addition to meeting federal eligibility, there are 2 requirements that must be completed before your federal direct loan(s) to disburse to your student account:

  1. Master Promissory Note (MPN)
  2. Entrance Counseling

Loan Programs

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Program
Federal Nursing Loan
Federal Direct Plus Loan for Graduate Students
Federal Direct Parent Plus Loan
Additional Unsubsidized Based on Parent Plus Denial
Federal Perkins Loan


View Kent State's loan proration policy.

Federal regulations require that the annual maximum loan amount an undergraduate student may borrow must be prorated in certain situations:

  • When the student is enrolled in a program that is shorter than a full academic year. 
  • When the student is enrolled in a program that is one academic year or more in length, but the remaining period of study is shorter than a full academic year. 

It is important to notify the Student Financial Aid Office if you are graduating in the summer or fall terms.  Loans adjusted after disbursement may result in a balance being owed to the university.


  • Direct Loan requirements now limit borrower eligibility for Direct Subsidized Loans to a period not to exceed 150 percent of the length of the borrower’s educational program (“the 150% limit”). For example, 6 years of Subsidized Loan eligibility for a bachelor degree and 3 years for an associate degree.
  • Under certain conditions, first-time borrowers who have exceeded the 150% limit may lose the interest subsidy on their Direct Subsidized Loans.  Students impacted by the 150% rule will be notified by the Student Financial Aid Office.



  • View a video from Federal Student Aid if you are looking for help with your student loan decisions.
  • Contact the servicer of your Direct Loan if you transfer from Kent State, drop below half-time status, or there is a change in your name, permanent address, telephone, or email information. A servicer is a company that the Department of Education hires to handle the repayment process of your loans. To find you servicer, visit and log in using your FSA ID.
  • Maintain copies (either electronic or paper) of all documents related to your Direct Loan.
  • Borrow only what you need. Begin a budget and stick to it. 


Financing a college education is a concern for many families. Most financial aid packages will include student loans; however, federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans may not cover the total cost of college expenses. Consequently, families are faced with the challenge of meeting the cost of their expenses.  

Learn more about Private Loans